Slippy brake problem

polecat

Having bled my brakes the brake is still very weak.

When I bought the bike it had fairly new pads but I am now wondering if they are contaminated ?

Should I buy New pads and a stainless goodridge hose ?

Would this stop the brake slipping or should I sand the pads that are in it and keep the standard hose ?

If anyone else had this type of problem I would be happy for any Tips.

brake slipping????........do you mean its not stopping the bike ? maybe its not fully bled properly or the rubber brake hose has perished

yeah its not stopping the bike much though the brake has been bled to death and no air is coming out for the last quater litre.

Just feels like there is no grip on the pads to disc :hammer:

Get some sintered pads and braided hoses

You could have cheap pads in there which can make the brakes feel spongey

You could also have air trapped in the caliper some can be a twat to get out

Don't listen to anyone saying the the brake lever back over night to make the air come out it doesn't work its a sealed unit once lever is pulled nothing can get out although it can help air rise

Get some sintered pads and braided hoses

You could have cheap pads in there which can make the brakes feel spongey

You could also have air trapped in the caliper some can be a tw*t to get out

Don't listen to anyone saying the the brake lever back over night to make the air come out it doesn't work its a sealed unit once lever is pulled nothing can get out although it can help air rise

I tried the lever tied back thing and it didn't make much diference to be honest :)

Ill get new pads and hose and hopefully that will sort it out.

thanks a lot :)

Another tip when bleeding is once you think you are just about done run the res low but not too low don't get air in again remove the caliper's and push the piston's back in this will move any air stuck in the caliper :-)

Another tip when bleeding is once you think you are just about done run the res low but not too low don't get air in again remove the caliper's and push the piston's back in this will move any air stuck in the caliper :-)

cool I will try that ;)

Just ordered new Goldfren Carbon ceraminc pads and a Stainless Goodridge Brake hose which will hopefully get me through the MOT ! Man this Bike thing is Expensive :lol:

Pads need to bed in. Did you put the pads back in the same place they came from? Moving them means they will have to bed in a gain. A warped disc will give poor braking. If the lever feels hard there's no air left in there. Braided hose is always a good idea on an old bike. The rubber ones swell as you apply the brake and some of the force is lost. Keep up the good work. 8-)

Pads need to bed in. Did you put the pads back in the same place they came from? Moving them means they will have to bed in a gain. A warped disc will give poor braking. If the lever feels hard there's no air left in there. Braided hose is always a good idea on an old bike. The rubber ones swell as you apply the brake and some of the force is lost. Keep up the good work. 8-)

I may have put the other way around as I did not mark which went which side of the disc :oops:

I understand now you mention it how the pads should have gone back the way they are and yes the brake is hard but the pads are not gripping the disc as far as I can see so hopefully the New pads and hose will be great :)

Have not heard any good things about Goldfren! Buy OEM, EBC or Carbone Lorraine ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

too late ! GOLDFREN were the only ones I could find for my bike at the time so I will go with them (they were not cheap either)

At least the Goodridge Hose will be good :)