Fuel pouring out of air box ER5

Dxr

Noticed a puddle under my bike after a good days riding, checked it out and its petrol. I removed the tank bolt and LH side panel and noticed the fuel dripping from the air box so I removed the air box cover and it was full of petrol, filter drenched in it. I turned the tap off and emptied the air box which seems to have stopped the flow. Quick google search tells me various poss problems but my knowledge of carbs/floats, seat valves etc is nil :?

Any advice, no matter how obvious most welcome. Anything else need rectifying as a result of this overflow?

I've just stripped off and cleaned my carbs on a zx6. There all the same, basically your carb has a float system that regulates a certain amount of fuel stored in the carbs all the time. There's a valve on the back of the float which i'm guessing ones stuck in on your bike. Do a quick YouTube search for carburetor strip and clean you'll see.

Thanks for the replies, I shall research carbs more in depth tonight... watch out youtube. lol

Well I think whatever it was is now cleared and ok, I'll check later to see if its leaking again. I disconnected the tank. Cleared the airbox of fuel and checked as much of the carbs as I could from the top, all looked clean and clear. I knocked gently around the floats so hopefully thats worked but in the end put it back together and after a few attempts it started. Ran it until warm and it seemed fine even at higher revs, air filter is still saturated though from the orig overflow :oops:

Good to see more of the engine up close though, all part of my intended learning curve. Would have been nice not to loose a crap load of petrol though :lol:

If it leaks again tonight I'll need to figure out how to stem the flow until I can strip more of it tomorrow :?

Yeah its the same, ON-PRI-RES but its got one of those auto fuel off vacuum valve things. At first I thought it was that that had gone iffy. SO far it does seem to have been a mucky float or similar... I hope :)

the vacuum doesnt work if you have the fuel tap in the prime position that allows free flow of petrol, you should only ever have tap in the prime positionif you have drained the carbs or run out of petrol and then as soon as the bike starts move tap back to the on or reserve position

Take the carbs off, remove the bowls and hey presto there is your floats.

If they are the problem you will notice they are filled with petrol and that indicates they are nackered and need replacing. Or the float piston, which blocks off the valve letting petrol get out is gummed up and no working.

Check these if its a persisting problem with the fuel set in anything but off :thumb:

Seems ok today, ran a bit rough for the first while and wouldnt idle just stalled. After a good run though its settled down and is idling fine, no leaks or problems and happy pulling through the gears. which is good cos ive been riding around all day 8-)

I use STP rather than redX. The local Honda mechanics say its better. Not to put Colin down I was of the same persuasion until I got a good talking to over it :lol:

From an STP salesman no doubt

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/nene.gif

Mine has no fuel tap. Reserve is a switch on the bars. Very convenient 8-)