How NOT to change you brake pads and fit braided lines.

Boothy

1) Do NOT round off one of the screws on the rear brake fluid res because you cba to go and find a philips screwdriver.

2) Do NOT shear both caliper bolts INSIDE the caliper because you CBA to wait for the WD40 to loosen them a bit as they are old rusty bolts.

3) Do NOT underestimate how hard it is to remove the rear brake pad pins on a bandit because apparently the only way to remove them if they are stuck is to drill from the other side and knock them through.

4) Do NOT try to drill through from the other side of the caliper if you have never drilled into metal before as you will end up making more than 1 hole.

5) Do NOT order some more res screw assuming that they are the same size for both frond and rear as they are not.

Is it worth buying another second hand caliper? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: f

Yeah been looking for one on ebay... Its all done now and I managed to knock them through and have replaced the pads and put the new lines on, apparently its a known problem with the bandits rear calipers and if soaking them in WD40 or PlusGas don't word the only way is to drill through the other side.... Having rear that back all the problems I have been having are connected to the rear caliper... Even if I bought a second hand one would have the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmQ7G94 ... ideo_title

nothing like learning as you go along and you are learning fast boothy

:stupid:

and the pins will come out in other ways rather then drilling :wink:

i did a rear brake on a bandit for a mate

i ended up stripping the caliper and splitting it leaving the pins in at one side soaking in a pag of WD40 for a while followed by a little heat and pair of mole grips you can grip the pins when the other half of the caliper is out the way :wink:

I think the bandit uses the same breaks as my gsx600f so I know your pain!

Them callipers really are crap, they're the one thing on the bike which I don't like.

I've rounded a screw off on both fluid reservoir, the front one I managed to get out with a hammer and flat screwdriver, the rear one I said sod it about bought a new reservoir. I've also sheared off a bolt on the rear calliper which attaches it to the bike which I've yet to sort.

Can anyone suggest a decent substitute calliper from another bike?

Can anyone suggest a decent substitute calliper from another bike?

if the calipers are looked after they are fine

if you can get a good one strip it down clean everything up and use copper slip where its supposed to be

i did my mates caliper over 7 years ago now and is still fine nothing seized

you need to look after them though atleast once a year pull the pins clean them up and copper slip them :)

I've cleaned them out completely to the best of my ability twice since I've had it, I'll admit to start with I didn't look after them great but the rate they deteriorate is shocking and getting the pistons in is nigh on impossible.