Why Bikers Signal SO early?

The more aware you can make other drivers of your intentions the safer it is for you... in theory anyway :lol:

And the lifesaver, you just look into your blind spot (over your shoulder) in the direction you want to move over to.

Also what area do you check when making a lifesaver?

Have you ever had a bike cop follow you for any length of time? If so, THAT is your blindspot, where he sits!

You're looking for anything that you can't see in your mirrors that may pose a threat to your safety as you turn or change lane position. Once you get your head round that, knowing where to look comes easily.

If you move or are going to turn left, the lifesaver is to the left and vice versa.

Watch learner car drivers, they signal early as well. It is part of the learning process where you need more time to put the manouver together.

The best way to understand a blindspot the safe way is to ask someone to stand as if they were a car overtaking you, but perhaps a little closer. Ask them to walk towards you in a straight line. If you stay still watching your mirrors they will disappear just as they reach you. The blind spot is not (on a bike) 10m behind you, it's very close just beside you and why it is so vital you check it. People who don't do lifesavers will eventually get knocked off. It's only a matter of time. Remember in a car you are not wearing a helmet and have a much better view of what is around you.

The not so safe way is if you are in town and you have those 30mph dual carriageways and cars are always passing watch a car come up to you on your right or left and just as it approaches you you will see it disappears from the mirror.

That said I have several times saved my bacon with a life-saver from incidents outside of the blind spot. Having checked mirrors, signalled and as I was a fraction of a second away from pulling out I did my lifesaver only to see a Suburu Impreza driven by a complete dumb idiot overtake the entire traffic queue and me doing about 120mph.