Back protector - yay or nay

<t>Do you wear a back protector?</t>  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a back protector?

• Yes - always
    • Yes - most of the time
    • No - never

I've got the boots, the armoured textiles, the helmet and the gloves...do I need a back protector too?

Just wondering how popular they are and if people think they are worth the expense and extra effort getting dressed in the morning 8-)

Edit to add: If yes, what type do you have, any recommendations?

Edited by Silverspring

I would say most people will say Yey!

However in reality not everyone will used one. I have one built into my textiles so do the kids, but not my leathers. will get one next year when i get a new jacket.

I've got the boots, the armoured textiles, the helmet and the gloves...do I need a back protector too?

Just wondering how popular they are and if people think they are worth the expense and extra effort getting dressed in the morning 8-)

As I lie here reading your post I'm full of drugs to control the pain from my ruptured kidney and spleen.

I don't reckon anyone can tell anyone else what or what not to wear - but I'll be wearing a kidney belt in future. :)

I've got a Forcefield back protector that I always wear when on the bike, it moulds to the contours of your body and you soon don't realise you have it on, it only takes seconds to fit too, I usually wear a long sleeve T shirt or rugby shirt over it, so if you take your jacket off when you stop, it's not too obvious :thumb:

I currently have a Dainese one not sure what model, and before that I had a Knox contour.

I wear one, but they are not for everyone, and they can be a pain because its another bit of kit to carry around once you get where you are going, but for me I like the additional protection.

The kids have ones inside their jackets and the missus has a forcefield one.

My next one will be an armour underjacket, probably forcefield, and I will remove all the armour from my jackets.

Oh yea, I have one that used to be built into my jacket, but i took it out as it wouldnt fit in my scooter lol.

I should probably put it back in really, but not sure how much good it would do, its about 1cm of what feels like foam.

I probably wouldnt be saying that if I got rear ended though

Always a good idea to have as much protection as possible

ive got one but its so uncomfortable it just sort of takes my minds of the road and onto it and how annoying it is! but i really need to get one thats good cause i suppose it saves the second most important thing after your head....

Guest philgale

I have a knox back protector, I don't go out on track without it but stopped using it on the road as like akey says its just another thing to carry and won't fit in the top box so can't be arced with it.

like colin says, the best protection is the rider. if i was going out for a good blast and nothing else i would stick it in, but if I'm just going out for a leisurely ride out with the missus i won't bother

Similarly to a few other here, I have a Knox back protector, and if I go for a 'ride-out' I might reach for it but regarding the daily commute, it's already a pain in the arse bumbling into the office after changing with my boots, lid, jacket, tank bag etc in hand... I think if I added a back protector the list I'd go mental after a couple of days :lol:

I wear a Forcefield L2 Pro all the time I'm on the bike. Can't think of any reasonable excuse not to.

"I couldn't be bothered with one" would sound a bit silly when you're in casualty with a broken back...

Riding a bike is like making sandwiches, use your loaf 8-)

Wise words :) I hope to be as safe a rider as I can be. Once I pass my test I'll think about the Advanced riding courses. That said, no matter how safe you are there is always a risk of someone driving into the back of you. I'm thinking a back protector might offer some protections.

My jacket has a pocket for armour but nothing in it, never got round to buying an insert as I'd read that they were pretty useless as they don't cover the top or bottom of your spine?

The poll looks like more people don't wear one but I might find a cheap one on fleabay and see if I can face putting it on for the daily commute! Then, when I get a bigger bike I'll think about a fancy one :)

I bought a Knox from Hein Gerricke for £100.

I tried it on, was thinking, "should I, shouldn't I? It does cost a ton!" The salesman looked at me and said, "is not ending up in a wheelchair worth more than £100 to you?" That was one of those rare moments when I fully agreed with a salesman and I went ahead and bought it. It's a good solid bit of kit and has excellent reviews. I recall there was a YouTube video showing a crash test dummy with and without a knox being hit from behind when stationary (e.g. at traffic lights). With the knox, the real person would have ended up with a few broken ribs, perhaps the odd cracked vertebra if he was unlucky (i.e. he's going to live to ride another day). Without the knox his spine would have been shattered and most of his internal organs turned to mush (instant death). I'm glad I bought it! I'd go for the same thing again, for sure.

Top tip though, if you are thinking of buying one, make sure you take your jacket and lid, try it all on and then either sit on a similar bike to yours (if at a dealer) or get as close as you can to riding position and then wriggle about loads. Some back protecters are higher than others, and some ride up more, this can push up on the back of your lid at best its annoying at worst it stops you looking around :shock:

I know it seems obvious but thought I would mention it

I thought a back protector was for when you are sliding along the road after the accident. I don't see many situations where you are forcefully hit on the back, whereas hands, elbows, knees and your head are obvious strike points.

i wear a forcefield pro sub 4, all the time. Takes about 10 seconds to put on in the morning, is very light and comfortable to wear.

i've done a review of it in the tried and tested.

a few riders i've spoken to persuaded me to get one. Also, i've read quite a few articles where people have been saved by their back protectors.

as ever, it's always down to personal choice, best thing you can do is go and try some on and see how you feel. If you don't get on with some of the bigger back protectors (like the sub 4) you can always get a back protector insert for your jacket.

I thought a back protector was for when you are sliding along the road after the accident. I don't see many situations where you are forcefully hit on the back, whereas hands, elbows, knees and your head are obvious strike points.

what if you high side and land on your back? ouch :shock:

Riding a bike is like making sandwiches, use your loaf 8-)

Wise words :) I hope to be as safe a rider as I can be. Once I pass my test I'll think about the Advanced riding courses. That said, no matter how safe you are there is always a risk of someone driving into the back of you. I'm thinking a back protector might offer some protections.

My jacket has a pocket for armour but nothing in it, never got round to buying an insert as I'd read that they were pretty useless as they don't cover the top or bottom of your spine?

The poll looks like more people don't wear one but I might find a cheap one on fleabay and see if I can face putting it on for the daily commute! Then, when I get a bigger bike I'll think about a fancy one :)

don't mean to sound like i'm having a go here, but what difference does riding a bigger bike have to what level of protection you wear?

if you're going to buy a back protector, then you might as well buy the best one you can afford (in my opinion).

don't mean to sound like i'm having a go here, but what difference does riding a bigger bike have to what level of protection you wear?

Mainly the amount of time I'm actually out on the bike. I'm commuting a couples of days a week right now and my rides at the weekend are no more than an hour or so, hopefully will be getting out much more once I have a bike that doesn't sound like an angry hair dryer :)

Edited by Silverspring

what if you high side and land on your back? ouch :shock:

...or even just slide along the road until you stop at the kerb. It's not necessarily the falling off that hurts, it's coming to a sudden halt from whatever speed you were doing at the time.