new helmet

Guest happyboots

after my recent experience, i need a new helmet.

i have only about £100 to spend.

so any ideas folks?

I had a play with Arai's bottom of the range lid today, and it was pretty tough!

It was more than £100 though.

How much is your head worth? ;)

have a look round for a OSBE if you can find one

i paid over £200 for mine and is a excellent lid the lining is still like new :shock:

really comfy and you can pick them up for £120 or less now

If you get one with a lairy paintjob (or anything other than a solid colour), then some of your money is going towards the looks (as opposed to the function).

I don't exactly know what percentage, however, £100 on a plain lid is better than £100 on a funky one IMO.

I remember paying £360 for my Z-One Haydon Replica, and the plain version was £100 less!

Hiya HB :!:

Might be worth seeing what you can pick up in the lower spec'd Arai and Shoei ranges...

You might be able to blag a bargain as the 2007 ranges come in and dealers want to get shut of last years stock --> no detriment to the lids, just that shops are run around people who want to "keep up with the Jones'.."

I know a lot of people like flip fronts, but they are not as inherently strong as a conventional full face. And.. white or lighter colours make you easier to see than trendy black... food for thought...

Oh and... there are some bargains to be had on the tinitie-net, but if you go down that route - be aware of the drawbacks of not being able to try on before you buy, AND I have heard on the grapevine that some of the Arais coming in are hooky -- in the sense that they aren't owt' to do with Pheonix - the UK's proper distributor for Arai -- might have ramifications for warranty claims etc.

Buy the very best you can get.. personally, I wouldn't want my head in anything other then Arai or Shoei.. But, if you can't do that, at least keep to mainstream names.

ps: was your kit covered under your insurance policy??

pps: Given the life span of helmets - 3 -5 yrs depending on who you listen to.. Makes sense to have a looksie at the label on the inside too ... most good manufacturers will give "date of birth".. buy as recent as poss..