CBR600 FL 1990 no spark

argentum40

Well as you will have gathered i have had loads of issues with my CBR and today it eventually gave up the ghost... It has no spark at all now and its on the verge of going to the nearest scrap yard as my patience has just about run out..

Before it goes i would welcome any ideas as to what the cause could be..

thanks guys and girls

thanks EAB.... will check those when i get a chance... wouldnt care but only rode it on wednesday... strage how things just pack up for no apparant reason

My son and I both have CBR400s and they absolutely refuse to start (or fire) if the battery is low. Bump start FTW - although that's not such an easy option with a 600

Thanks to EAB's suggestion i whipped off the cover to check the pickup coils and a small amount of oil was in there... cleaned it out of the casing with a degreaser and after reassembly she burst into life... thanks alot mate i wouldnt have checked those usually as i didnt know about pickup coils until you mentioned it... will have to keep an eye on those in future :D

thanks EAB.... will check those when i get a chance... wouldnt care but only rode it on wednesday... strage how things just pack up for no apparant reason

My son and I both have CBR400s and they absolutely refuse to start (or fire) if the battery is low. Bump start FTW - although that's not such an easy option with a 600

The 600 has a very over square engine setup, you'd be amazed at how easily you can bump start one. The 2008 CBR600RR I had bump started in the space of about 6 feet. :)

Glad its sorted, a regular fault is the fuel pump packing in but I dont think models before the F3 had them but if it does keep an eye on it. And clean it every now and again.

well its dead again... went out following day and once again it wouldnt start... it stinks of fuel when tryin to fire it up so i dont think its fuel related... theres afella fairly locally who is breaking one and i am getting the pickup coils and coil packs with leads on a try before you buy basis... so if these dont work then only other thing it can be is the bloody CDI which are fairly expensive even second hand...