Just got bike back from garage...

Silverspring

after the whole saga of them 'not being able to get parts' I finally got my bike back and I almost turned around on the way home to go back and ask this but though I'd check it out with you guys first.

So the bike got a new front callipher fitted (yeay I now have brakes that work!) but it is making a horrendous noise when ever the front wheel is moving. It stops when the brake is applied, sounds like something is grinding/rubbing? I assume this is not a normal part of a new brake bedding in? If I have to take this bike back cos they haven't fixed it properly there may well be blood! :evil:

Yep sounds like something trapped between the pad and disc, could have been picked up by you on the way home though.. There will be loads of crap on the roads now. I would assume that they would have taken the bike on a quick road test to bed the brakes in and check that they are all working as they should..

its some thing rubbing on the disk when the brakes are used, are the pads ok? are the calipers central to the disk? is as some one else has said a small stone jammed between the disk and the caliper or pad? it the disk being marked ?

hope this helps

Keith

They had a look at it as they agreed it shouldn't be making that noise (I did point out that someone had ridden it round from the garage and surely couldn't fail to notice the noise!) apparently they had 'forgot' to put any lubrication on the outside of it (or something like that) so it's fixed now and I will be looking for a new garage in future.

Yeah.....seems like us amateurs here know about Copper Grease on the back of the pads.....and of anti squeal shims too......and these so called professionals missed it... :roll:

Frankly I wouldn't trust them near my bike.... :shock:

To my understanding it's a legal requirement for a commercial business working on brakes to copper grease the back of the pads.

Either way, if they're that sloppy when working on the braking system, do you really want them anywhere near your bike, for anything? :lol:

I'd never use them again, take the caliper off push the pads apart then take the pads out (remove two pins depending on what bike) then apply some copper grease little is more. put it all back together and pump the brake. Piss job :up:

Sounds fairly shocking to me... As mentioned, this was your breaking system, so a highly important part of the bike which you rely on most to prevent yourself from crashing. So if they screwed that up, then I would definatley not use them again.

I find that the small places are usually the best, I use a guy in the village who's garage is only about 4 bikes wide, and his office but is up a ladder that is bolted to the wall.

Well, I sent off an email (letter of complaint) on Sunday. They tried to call on Wednesday but I was in an exam, tried to call yesterday but I missed the call then finally got an email today. They have apologised for the errors and the way sourcing the parts was handled and have offered me a free service to try and 'amend the situation' :? not sure I trust them with my bike though!