pop noise

bendiazclegg

ever sinse i was given this motorbike that i use every day it has worked flawlessly apart from the last few day that the bike has been stalling mainly in low speed manoeuvres, i am i the correct gear but the bike makes a quiet poppin noise then cuts out, but then starts instantly on the electric start whilst still moving any help ? :s

An Iridium plug may be a bit overkill on your bike.....but that's down to you whether you want to spend the extra money for (I would Guess) no perceptible gain in performance.

I don't know your bike....so the tickover adjustment would depend on whether its Carb or Fuel Injected. If its a Carb bike there will normally be a screw that you can adjust to bring the tickover up or down.....it may be shown in the Owners manual if you have one. You need to make sure that the engine is up to operating temperature before adjusting it though. If your bike is Fuel Injected that is a different story altogether... I can adjust mine by using a program called TuneECU......but this will vary from bike-to-bike.....

Hope this gives you a bit to go on to start with....then we'll see how it goes after you've done these things..... 8-)

okay what im doing is tomorrow im going to a garrage to pick up a new footpeg as mine is bent and i shall ask about the missfire and to check wether the alternator is set correctly. by the way the bike is carburated. im guessing i would not have to make any adjustments if i buy either standard or iridium?

okay what im doing is tomorrow im going to a garrage to pick up a new footpeg as mine is bent and i shall ask about the missfire and to check wether the alternator is set correctly. by the way the bike is carburated. im guessing i would not have to make any adjustments if i buy either standard or iridium?

I don't think the alternator would cause the misfire. If the bike is carburettor then check the tickover wneh the bike is warm and see what it is....I'm assuming it has a rev counter? There should be a screw on the carb to adjust the tickover.....normally with a plastic knob on it so it can be adjusted by hand.

The only thing you need to do is make sure the plug is the correct one for your engine (there are normally look-up lists around that will help you identify the right one) and make sure the gap is set correctly....other than that it should fit straight in.

One thing I didn't ask is does this problem occur just after starting the bike or after it has been running for a bit? It may be that the bike just needs to warm up thoroughly before riding it.

Good Luck

okay i took it to the garage this morning as i needed a footpeg and decided to get the spark plug replaced he said the bike is running perfect and the plug didnt really need changing but i did notice i got an extra 10mph out of that bike over what i had previously managed :) so far the bike hasnt cut out or misfired etc so im happy. one other question is there anyhting that i can do to make the bike start always on the electric start because sometimes i have to use the kick start which normaly kicks first time, im guessing its just the battery ??

. one other question is there anyhting that i can do to make the bike start always on the electric start because sometimes i have to use the kick start which normaly kicks first time, im guessing its just the battery ??

It may be that your battery just needs charging. This time of year is hard on batteries as they don't perform as well in the cold. If your journeys are fairly short and you run with your lights on all the time it could be that the battery just doesn't get the charge to replace what the starter takes out of it. Give your battery a good charge and then see how you go..... 8-)