Removing Locked Filler Cap - No Key

Echoeone

Hi all - does anybody have any tips on how to remove the filler cap on a ZZR1100D petrol tank without a key. I could no doubt try a flat head screw driver to force it but want to try and save it if poss and also worried that if I did try and force it and it didn't work then would have a bigger prob. Any ideas/thoughts appreciated Thx

Tough one - can't drill it because you run the risk of swarf falling into the tank - although perhaps you could get the tank totally empty, disconnect the fuel line (on my bike it's just held on with a big old jubilee clip and a gasket) - then I'm guessing the tank is just a big metal box with an "in" hole and an "out" hole - so you could unbolt the tank completely, then drill the cap and then make sure you clean all the swarf out before re-attaching then tank and the fuel line.

that is assuming that the tank really is simply a big metal box with an "in" hole and and "out" hole and there's nothing complicated inside it ...

I had that once, and I used a thin strip of metal (I used one of the wife's flat hair clips and straightened it out) and a small screwdriver to turn the lock it took a while but I got there by moving the strip of metal backwards and forwards not in and out with slight pressure on the twist of the screwdriver and as you manage to push one tumbler in the right place it will hold there with the twist pressure on the screwdriver, keep going until you have all of them in the right place and the lock will turn, but be prepared for it to take a while and be patient as well, it took me over half an hour to open mine.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Should be able to get a key cut if its off the same suite as the ignition or seat-helmet lock. The barrel - key number should be stamped on the helmet lock, numerous lock smiths hold blanks for the kawasaki

If you smash or drill it out, your then going to need a complete replacement.

http://www.keysinthepost.com/actinic/KawasakiKeys.html