33bhp Restriction

Guest Gothalicta

Hello, Kyle again,

I'm looking at getting a bike, but I don't know if it can be restricted or

not. Its a Kawasaki GT750 P5. Would it be possible to restrict it and if

so, can every bike be restricted!?

Thank you, Kyle.

Some bikes like R6's are bad to restrict as its just terrible to restrict, makes it go as fast as a 250 as it just gets choked as it relies on its system it has, its like making it breath through a straw.

If you type the bike model on google and see if someone has made a vid or a comment before about it and see what they say about it.

Hello, Kyle again,

Thank you, Kyle.

being an older bike im not sure you would easily find a restrictor kit for it if anyone even makes one,dont forget this bike stopped being made long before the new bhp limits came in

As has been said above, not totally practical on a 750 but not unheard of. I remember a kit for a Ducati 916. Your kit, if it exists would almost certainly consist of 'washers' in your inlet ports/rubbers or exhausts (nearly always the inlets) and/or a hand throttle limiter. Your best bet would be to ask on a Kawasaki dedicated forum (I guess you have already). I used to be on the largest one in the UK (can find a link if necessary) and they are (or certainly were) a friendly bunch - one member sent me a GPZ500 indicator in the post for free - he wouldn't even accept the postage.

Hello, Kyle again,

Thank you, Kyle.

Answers to both questions can be found here http://www.fiinternational.com/browse.asp?types=yes&type=Kawasaki

The point of the restriction is to limit what you ride to a 250cc bike or equivalent.

If you restrict a 750 to the power output of a 250 you will have a very odd machine, bit like putting a 250 engine in it.

A reliable, predictable delivery of drive is important for the handling of a bike.

There are bikes out there , kawasaki's 250 ninja for example, which are designed to be what they are.

The other way around the power restriction is to pick a bike that has high torque and low power.

The Vtwin engine is an ideal candidate for this.

Simply put , torque is acceleration and power is top speed.

A restricted Vtwin of around 6oocc will still deliver 100mph plus and yet still retain it's torquey characteristics.

Which is the fun bit. It will have a predictable delivery and so be easier and safer to ride.

Don't pick you bike on prettiness. It won't feel so pretty when some youth on a 250 ninja passes you in the twisties or some old throbber leaves you for dead at the lights

I hope this makes sense to you 8-)

just to (possibly) set the cat among the pidgeons here - there is a common misconception that an officially fitted restrictor kit manufactured by a professional body complete with certificate is the only legal method of restricting a motorbike recognised in the UK.. it isn't and there is at least one company churning out what boils down to glorified penny washers at extortionate prices that, let's just say aren't quick to step forward and tell you this..

just to (possibly) set the cat among the pidgeons here - there is a common misconception that an officially fitted restrictor kit manufactured by a professional body complete with certificate is the only legal method of restricting a motorbike recognised in the UK.. it isn't and there is at least one company churning out what boils down to glorified penny washers at extortionate prices that, let's just say aren't quick to step forward and tell you this..

+1

Plus the certificate doesn't mean a thing. Insurance companies may accept it, but police/courts wont. All it shows is that the restrictor was fitted, it does not show it is restricted to 33bhp, and it does not show the restrictor is still in there. As giocast says, it is not a legal requirement to have a certificate and can be done at home by someone that has bought or made a couple of washers of the correct size. As long as a dyno reading says its below 33bhp its legal

I'll just leave this here :wink:

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... 27&t=23787

And this (the actual wording of the law in which the 25kW power restriction is set)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/uksi_19992864_en.pdf

And this

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... e-rip-off/