Tips before my CBT

Guest DMR

I have got my CBT booked for 2 weeks time, I have had off road bikes in the past with gears, but never with a clutch.

From what I have read on this and other forums, it is best to find out different stuff prior to the CBT. So I have a few question for you guys if you can help me... Cheers

1. What will I need to bring with me on the day? (the Protective equipment is provided) But will there be anything which they will expect me to bring. (I have my own helmet)

2. When they say "starting using the clutch, without touching the accelerator" how does that actually work

3. Are there any additional things I should know which will help me before I do the CBT? anything will be great.

Also, I would like to purchase some gloves, I have £100 to spend on them, and I would like the best ones I can get for by budget. Can you recommend any for a road sports bike?

Thanks.

Hi, my attempts to answer your questions are

1 - bring as much of your own protective gear as you can. Wearing your own helmet is an absolute minimum. CBT means going out on the road and if you are certainly going to get your licence I would say get as much gear as possible now for the lessons as well.

2 - not sure if I know, but maybe it means check you are in neutral and start without pulling in the clutch and it should start without giving it any revs.

3 - check out videos on You Tube about CBTs and read the members experience thread here for info and tips.

As for gloves I have found sizing is a real issue so I would go to a dealers and try what fits. I have Spada Airtech summer gloves that are great and under half your budget. You could then get some waterproof gloves as well. All I can say about them is avoid Oxford Bone dry and I rate my IXS Nordic gloves from J&S which are £70. I would suggest spreading your budget over two gloves to cover the variable weather and if one gets soaking you have another pair.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm puzzled as to how you managed to ride a geared bike but without operating a clutch?? :?

As for your questions..

1. You shouldn't need to take anthing apart from your provisional/driving licence. They may ask you to wear one of the schools helmets for insurance purposes and you could also wear some decent boots with ankle support if you have any. I just wore a pair of skater type trainers though :roll:

2. They will ask you to pull the clutch lever in and engage first gear, then let it out slowly so you can feel the clutch bite point. Yes, you probably will stall it.. 8-)

3. Just relax and enjoy it. Its not a test, just a training session so there is no pass or fail.

4. I have a pair of Spada gloves and have had Frank Thomas, both were decent for different reasons. Get down to your local shop and try an few pairs on to see what they are like. Much like a helmet gloves have to fit well. Too big and you won't have a good feel for the controls, too small and they will pinch making them uncomfortable and cut circulation to the fingers which can make them feel cold.

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm puzzled as to how you managed to ride a geared bike but without operating a clutch?? :?

Thank you..

I was about 8 (about 10 years ago) im not sure if it was the PW50 or the coyote 80 that had the gears. But it definitely didnt have a clutch. :lol: :cheers:

The only thing you NEED to take is your licence.

Apart from that your instructor/training school should have told you what is or is not provided. If they have not, then ask them.

How old is your lid? Is it legal?

Don't analyse and over think it too much before you get there. Just turn up on time, listen, follow instructions and you will be fine.

:stupid:

If they're good at their job, the instructors will assume you have no prior experience & therefore will teach you from the very basic control upwards.

As has already been said, it's basic training - not a test, just instruction. You can't 'fail' your CBT, and the instructors should teach you until they're happy that you're capable of riding safely on the roads.

Relax and enjoy it. Listen and absorb what they say. I'd recommend taking a drink of some sort. It was a warm day when I did mine.

If you're new to riding, it might be worth not taking your own lid, but using theirs. Then if you stuff it, you're stuffing their equipment! if you're worried about the quality of the equipment - or how many knits you're going to get - take your own. Certainly i've heard of a woman who took her shoei lid which cost her hundreds to the CBT on her first day and dropped the bike and smacked her head.

i would imagine operating the clutch without operating the accellerator is with respect to "setting the gas" and allowing the clutch out slowly to find the bite. If you've driven a car - it's much the same principal except you can ride a bike clutch much more to control your slow speed. quite often you see people not balancing the gas and clutch or just dumping the clutch. there's examples of what happens there on youtube! I'm at work at the moment, so can't find the link. but woman and wheelchair granny are taken out!