Smell of petrol

Ricco1

I've recently noticed a smell of petrol when I've opened the garage where I store my bike. I've checked the underside of the tank and the fuel line to the carb, seems OK. I've pinned it down to the breather/ overflow tube that comes off the bottom of the carb. An odd drip or 2 is coming from here.

Is this an easy fix?

It's a Suzuki GN125 bythe way.

Thanks for any replies.

A line coming directly from the bottom of the carb float bowl is not an overflow, it is a drain line. There should be a screw right next to it to open and close it off. You may have to remove it, clean it and refit it if it is weeping.

If the line is not off the float bowl but from further up, then your float height may be set wrong. Does it still do it if you turn off the fuel at the petrol tap from the tank?

Does it still do it if you turn off the fuel at the petrol tap from the tank?

Remembering of course that you should be turning the fuel tap (if you have one) off at the end of the day anyway... :wink:

Does it still do it if you turn off the fuel at the petrol tap from the tank?

Remembering of course that you should be turning the fuel tap (if you have one) off at the end of the day anyway... :wink:

Really?? I've never turned mine off, apart from when I've removed the tank.. :?

The reason to turn them off is that if the float height is stuck, and the bike is at an angle, the cylinder could fill with fuel, causing a hydrolock, and doing lots of damage the next time you start the engine.

All depends on your fuel tap. A lot of modern bikes have a vacuum pipe like mine does, vacuum from engine turning opens the tap allowing fuel to exit. I HAVE no off, just reserve, prime and on. (Prime bypasses the vacuum on)

I can take my tank off with the fuel pipe disconnected and the tap turned on and not a drop does exit from within!

• 3 weeks later...
A line coming directly from the bottom of the carb float bowl is not an overflow, it is a drain line. There should be a screw right next to it to open and close it off. You may have to remove it, clean it and refit it if it is weeping.

If the line is not off the float bowl but from further up, then your float height may be set wrong. Does it still do it if you turn off the fuel at the petrol tap from the tank?

The same thing happened to my wifes sr125. The o ring had deteriorated on the stop screw for the drain. Shut the fuel off, take the screw out (you will lose a little more fuel here) and check the state of the o rings and replace.