Dragging rear brake (I think)

XmisterIS

Yesterday, the bike developed an incredibly irritating squeaking sound. It reappeared again today when the bike had warmed up. I wondered if it was the brakes, so I took it along a long straight road without braking, the engine braked all the way down to a crawl, and applied the front brake only at the last minute. Then I jumped off the bike, whipped off my glove and felt the discs for heat. The front discs were cold, but the rear disc was a little warm - not even warm enough to be uncomfortable to touch, but just slightly warm. When I got home I popped the bike up on the paddock stand and spun the rear wheel - you can hear the rear disc brushing against the pads. I think the brake is dragging slightly - how to fix it? I'vde tried the old trick of vigorously pumping the rear brake pedal, but no joy. At least it's not getting worse, but it's not getting better either! The pads and disc are fine - it's just been MOTed and they were well within spec.

Pads always touch slightly and you will hear it when you spin a wheel

Finding out if its too much is a different story

Is the wheel hard to turn? If not I wouldn't worry about it

Hmmm ... they are just brushing the rear pad and there isn't much resistance when I spin the back wheel.

Now, this bloody squeak has become intermittent. Yesterday, on the way out - no squeak. On the way home - squeak appeared, then disappeared.

"squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak-etc" ... It is driving me nuts! :bang:

Remove the pads and feel the braking surface for any hard highspots. If there are any , rub a fine file across them and rub it all around the edges. Pump all pistons out by about 5 to 10mm. Clean pistons with a small amount of WD40, rub it in and polish pistons up to a bright shine. Push pistons back in by hand. Check anti chatter/squeal shims are in place and apply a small amount of copper grease to either side. Clean pads with brake cleaner and refit. Try again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: