mod1 :) and a little update

<t>Did you take lessons for the mod1 test?</t>  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Did you take lessons for the mod1 test?

• Yes
    • No
    • A Few

Hey guys so the last time I was on the forum I just got my CBT and was asking what kit I should get well.... I bought myself a nice little Suzuki EN125-2 (blue) I have been riding around on it for about 6 months now, I have learned a lot about the rules of the road lol some the hard way. At the start I didn't seem to look out for sings / road markings so would often be in the wrong lane and would panic / get lost. I thought I would try the mod1 test without getting lessons as it was only £15.50 (£60 for a 1hr lesson) and the one good thing I seem to have is good balance and slow control so I didn't have much to lose by giving it a go. I did practice on a dead end road that had no traffic with some bottles but other than that I was relying on the 6 months riding to help me out. I had no sleep at all last night but I got up nice and early, (6:30am) got ready and gave my bike a little once over.

I'm not sure if this would be a little tip for people doing the mod1 but giving the bike a good check really helped me as my rear tyre was rather low and that would probably not help with handling (I now seem to do checks every ride or every 2nd). Anyway I planned the route to the test centre using Google Maps then the day before my test I went out to find the test centre, this way I knew what to expect. I arrived at the test centre around 7:35ish and it wasn't open yet lol so I thought this would be a good time to practice some slow control as the road it was on is dead at that time. I put my bike in the parking bay once the gates opened and waited outside as it was raining a bit and I didn't want a wet seat lol the examiner then pulled up on his bike about 8ish, I got off my bike and said "hello" however he very quickly replayed with "turn your bike around (so its facing out) unless you plan on driving over the test centre" and walked away I was a little shocked but I could see his point at the same time (I never did get a hello back lol) from that point on I couldn't help but think this guy hates me and I haven't even done the test yet lol nice one Kevin.

Once we went inside he seemed like a different guy.... he was VERY kind and helpful and gave me tips. I showed him my bike and then the test started. Everything was going very good and I was shocked at myself and how well I was doing. It then got to the emergency stop.... and I FU*KED up big time as I hit 52km/h and went to stop but my rear wheel locked up in the rain however I regained full control (the look on his face was priceless as was mines probably) and the bike was good again. I have been reading if you lock up any wheel then you fail and other people say you don't so at this point I was thinking I failed but I did keep trying my best. I was slow on my avoidance but I got a 2nd go and got 49km/h (I thought the min was 50km/h ?) and he said you just made it by 1km/h. I then parked up my bike and we went inside, I started to think if I passed he would told me by now...... how wrong I was lol once we got in the room he said congrats you have passed mod1 (I was in shock) I did say "but I locked up my rear wheel" (I'm a very honest person... sometimes that's not a good thing) I thought I would fail for that, his reply was "you handled that perfectly and regained full control of the bike so you have passed".

So that's my super long update, I hope everyone wont mind me posting this really long story lol I don't know any bikers so when I have some exciting bike news I like to come to TMBF and tell my little or sometimes huge story. *sorry*

Well done on passing, and don't worry about the essay, it may have made informative reading for those who've yet to do their mod 1.

Have you any thoughts on your mod 2? It may be worth you spending the money on a lesson or two there just to make sure you haven't picked up any bad habits, and so you know what to do for test conditions. £75 is a lot to lose.

Congrats once again, and there's a few bikers around the central belt. I'm down the road, near Dumfries. :cheers:

congratz on mod 1.. i would echo what nell said , a lesson or 2 before mod 2 wouldnt be a bad idea, all they do is teach you to pass the test, which is what your after at the end of the day

Congrats :cheers:

Well done you. And a good write up. Put something similar in the "mod 1 experiences" thread, all useful to people preparing for test to read what to expect.

Locking up the rear on the emergency stop is a minor but if you realise what's happening, let off, let the wheel roll, reapply and regain control then it's only a minor. It's if you skid to a stop you fail since you're not demonstrating the bike control the whole mod1 is testing :)

With the speed gates the target is 50. It used to be under 50 was a fail but now 48-49 is a minor, 47 is a fail.

On to mod2 then. I'd definitely suggest at least go to a school and ask if they'll have a look at you. If an instructor says you're good then off you go but if there's stuff to pick up then best get it picked up before you do your test.

Where are you asking that's £60 an hour? Mine was £50 and that was even with hire of the big bike. £40 if hiring the 125 and £35 on your own bike!

Congrats on the mod1 :)

With the speed gates the target is 50. It used to be under 50 was a fail but now 48-49 is a minor, 47 is a fail.

Whats all this talk about speed gates?? no such thing when i did my test many years ago... wonder how many of uss "old timers" would pass a mod1/mod2 these days!?? :oops:

WOW thank you everyone, amazing community :) I will be doing my mod2 asap however I think this could take a few goes lol. I have been working like mad the past few days to help pay for the training and the test. I just hope to pass before everything gets changed in Jan. I will post with any updates.

Thanks everyone :)