22 years old wanting to ride but cant afford DAS

Guest DanceFiendStrapS

Hi everyone!

I've previously introduced myself but shall do so again as it has been a while since I last posted. From Birmingham area WOOP haha....

Anywho.. I'm 22 NEVER ridden a bike before. I want to be able to ride quickly however I cannot afford the Direct Access Course As it is a ridiculous price! So can I take CBT, then A1 module, then A2 module, keep riding for 2 years and it automatically gets upgraded to the full category A? Am I correct in saying this? Or is there no other choice to do the DAS and get full Category A which will cost me like 750 upwards because I will need training.

If so Can someone give me decent 33bhp Cruiser that complies with the rest of rules a.k.a. Power to Weight ratio etc.

Last question can someone give me details of a good company that can train and pass me in these? (Birmingham area)

Sorry just thought of another question can I just do a CBT to get a 125cc if I have a PROVISIONAL driving license or would I have have to own a full license?

Kind Regards

DanceFiend StrapS

Hi, welcome, again. 8-)

To answer your questions..

You need a provisional licence and to have completed the CBT to ride anything up to 125cc, this needs to be renewed every two years. You don't need to have a full driving licence.

For a full bike licence you'll need to complete the CBT, pass a motorcycle theory test and mod 1+2 on any bike over 500cc. You can do the tests on a 125 but you'll be restricted for 2 years to 33bhp, currently you don't need to re-test after 2 years but there are new laws coming in next year.

If you don't want to pay for a DAS course, you can always have lessons once/twice a month and spread the payments that way. It only took me 2-3 months, including doing CBT and theory tests. I think I paid a total of £600.

There is nothing to stop you from doing the CBT, theory and mod1/2 without taking lessons but there is a good chance you'll fail without any kind of training or riding experience. More expense if you have to do more than one test, they are currently around £75..

:cheers:

nothing to stop you just doing CBT and riding a 125, you can then take both modules on it as and when your ready...thats the path my daughters on,

Same , I've got a 125cc cruiser and saving up til I can afford to do DAS later in the year, then the plan is to sell my bike to my partner and go bigger while he's chugging along at 60mph, haha! Get road-wise first before going for a bigger bike if money is a problem at the moment. I got an amazing cruiser for £600, full service and MOT £150, insurance £120 & road tax was £14 or something! So, SO much cheaper than driving a car, so much cooler, can skirt around the traffic and of course it's fun! :up:

The law is changing for people up to 24 I believe next year - see here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /DG_201206

Hey thanks to everyone for quick replies and apologies for my late one. Think you guys have given me a lot to think about! But You guys know what you are on about, so I shall be following your advice. I will most definitely take my CBT and chill on a 125cc for a bit before thinking bigger, I think my main worry was having to wait until I'm 24 before being able to go on anything bigger. Rather than having a full license and then deciding whenever I wanted to I get a bigger bike!

At you're age you can do your CBT and run a 125 for 2 years. If you want to though you can do your CBT, theory, mod 1 and mod 2 and you will be entitled to ride on anything up to 400cc until you get to the age of 24. After that though you've got to take mod 1 and mod 2 again to allow you an unrestricted licence. All of this comes into force at the end of January though so you've got time yet to pass and gain a full unrestricted licence.

If you're wanting to run a 125, then I'd suggest you just leave it till your 24 so you're not having to do the mod 1 and 2 twice.

personally, if costs an issue, get cbt, and a 125... learn the skills, then do mod 1 and 2 on the 125 before the changes.

you will be restricted for 2 years , but there are a few cruisers out there under the limit... i believe the 535 virago is only 29bhp.. and there are one or 2 others