New bike woes

Guest justclare

:cry:

Hi there,

Got a problem with a new Aprillia RS 125. got it brand new on Saturday, it is fitted with a data tool s4 red alarm, and is also fitted to an optimizer to keep the battery in good stead as instructed by the bike shop.

On picking the bike up and riding it home it kept stalling and was bad to start again once stalled, this happened numerous time. Once home we placed the bike on to the optimizer and the light was on charge, it was showing the battery was quite low.

We kept the bike on the optimizer all night, eventually the light on the optimizer went green, showing that the battery was now charged.

Go to start the bike the next day (Sunday). Nothing. Loads of attempts at the starter trying to turn the engine, lights flickering, display flickering , but nothing.

Place the bike back onto the optimizer and the battery is back on the orange again.

So once again keep the bike on charge all night. Ring the shop on the Monday, who said it sounded like the spark plug had got wet!

Strange as it is located under the fuel tank with the battery in quite a water tight place.

Was advised to take the spark plug out and dry it over night by a heater.

I did this and cleaned the area with WD40 and some kitchen roll to make sure there where no bits of moisture anywhere.

Placed the spark plug back in and the bike eventually started, but blew a lot of blue smoke and would not idle on its own at all. I have to keep the choke fully out and keep on the gas for about 5/6 mins.

Bike went out for a ride and went well.

Bike came back, plugged it back into the optimizer, and light is green straight away.

Go to start the bike this morning for work, and we have the same problem we had on the Sunday. It just would not start. In the end I had to again get to the spark plug and wipe it and all the connections , and spry WD40, there is no way the bike has got wet, as it was not even raining yesterday and it is also under a cover. It is cold though??

Bike finally starts but is worse than on Sunday and took 10 mins to even idle.

Loads of blue smoke again, and a horrible electrical smell.

About to call the bike shop again, witch is an official dealer, but what do you think is going on?

It’s a bran new bike for gods sake!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Its the shops problem and not yours they sell you a new bike an it fails like this is there problem and they should be bending over backwards to help you out.

The chances are the problem will be down to a bad connection on the alarm or maybe the coil .

good luck with this if they dont sort it asap name and shame the shop

Everyone is right!

It's not up to you to sort it. Take it back to the shop pronto.

If they give you any hassle consider getting in touch with Trading Standards - and make this known to the shop too.

Where abouts in Lancs are you?

What dealer is it?

Keep us posted with what happens :!: And good luck!

as every one else says.... get them to come collect and take it back and sort it.

one little point ... you missed the meaning of the wet plug.... they were refering to the inside being too wet with petrol (IE flooded) not the outside! also the blue smoke was probably from the WD40 getting into the cylinder while the spark plug was removed.

these small bikes can take some time to get used to starting wise. I would suggest that if you apply the choke then do not move the throttle at all till it starts then very gently open the throttle to increase the revs. also do not press the start button and hold it on for a few seconds, only a few rotations of the engine at a time.

Elf

Yeh take it back to the shop and make them sort it out. It sounds like a similiar problem that i have with mine (but mines 6 years old now) but it seems to of fixed itself :? although I dont know now as I havent rode it for about a week and its been sitting in the cold, ive bought a spark plug for it but by the looks of it you need to take the tank off to get at it so havent bothered, am I right in thinking you have to take the tank off?