new rules january 2013?

Guest neutro999

Hi, newbie here!

I have decided to take the plunge and learnt to ride and am planning on doing my CBT in the next few weeks!

I initially thought I would learn to ride 125cc and probably take my test on that and then after 2 years when licence changes to allow you to ride any size bike if i felt i wanted a bigger bike then would maybe get a kawi ninja 250 or something similar as i think a larger bike would be a bit too big for me.

I had seen on the DSA website that it is all change from next year but didn't really read all about it in great detail but was just reading a topic on here and it said that under the new rules if you take your test on a 125 then you can only ride that and if you want to ride something bigger you have to take your test again on a larger bike and that the larger test bike is going to go up from a 500 to 600? So am i right in thinking that when these new rules come into force next year if i want to ride a 250 i am going to have to take a test on a 600?

not exactly. there is A2 category which allows you to ride <35kW, <0.2kW/kg

i tried to produce a picure, hope it helps. if anyone notices something is not right with it - give me shout

http://www.cruiserforum.co.uk/pics/licence2013.png

Bear in mind that there are not many sub 500cc bikes around these days, people either tend to ride 125's or 500cc plus due to our laws, so if you want a zxr250 you are left looking for 12yr plus old bikes on ebay. That can be fine, and there are some very nice bikes out there, but it helps if you know what you are looking for. most of the 250 or 400 sports bikes were japanese imports due to their licensing laws making them popular over there.

Having said that, a very nice zxr250 went for sale on here recently so they are about.

Personally, I think if you are going to the hassle of doing your test in the first place, you might as well do it on a 600 and then you can ride whatever you like. Who knows where your interest will take you in the future?

Bear in mind that there are not many sub 500cc bikes around these days, people either tend to ride 125's or 500cc plus due to our laws, so if you want a zxr250 you are left looking for 12yr plus old bikes on ebay.

He probably means the new ninja 250 ie zx250r (I saw new, they are current but been around a few yrs). Although maybe not! Kawasaki have also just released the ninja 300 which looks very nice :)

Bear in mind that there are not many sub 500cc bikes around these days, people either tend to ride 125's or 500cc plus due to our laws, so if you want a zxr250 you are left looking for 12yr plus old bikes on ebay.

He probably means the new ninja 250 ie zx250r (I saw new, they are current but been around a few yrs). Although maybe not! Kawasaki have also just released the ninja 300 which looks very nice :)

I think I am just behind the times! But even so, they are not a prolific market over here.

I think I am just behind the times! But even so, they are not a prolific market over here.

Probably because of the price tag! Honda have the cbr250 as well which I think is a few less ££ than the ninja.

oh right i see, ok

i thought they were doing away with the A2 category and simplifying it (i say simplifying - it seems more confusing to me now to be honest)

the directgov and DSA websites have all been re-done and now finding the information on learning to ride is harder and more difficult to understand i find. (which is ironic since they state on the websites that its all been changed so that it is easier for viewers to find the information they want!)

yes i was on about a kawi ninja 250 (in green! :)) which they have produced for the last few years

will do the CBT and then think about what i am going to do because as pointed out might not be a bad idea to take a test on a 600cc as then have full licence and can ride anything i like. I just don't know how i would lift/support/balance on a big bike like that and also storing one would be a problem as garage space is limited as it is!

oh right i see, ok

i thought they were doing away with the A2 category and simplifying it (i say simplifying - it seems more confusing to me now to be honest)

the directgov and DSA websites have all been re-done and now finding the information on learning to ride is harder and more difficult to understand i find. (which is ironic since they state on the websites that its all been changed so that it is easier for viewers to find the information they want!)

yes i was on about a kawi ninja 250 (in green! :)) which they have produced for the last few years

will do the CBT and then think about what i am going to do because as pointed out might not be a bad idea to take a test on a 600cc as then have full licence and can ride anything i like. I just don't know how i would lift/support/balance on a big bike like that and also storing one would be a problem as garage space is limited as it is!

It's not the 250, its new launch for next year

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Ninja300