You see a speed trap, do you....

Throttled

<t>Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?</t>  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?

• Yes
    • No

I have only came across two speed traps in the time that I've had my CBT. The first one wasn't so far up the road from my house which was in a small layby near a farm lane, the other? Well. The other wasn't a speed trap as such...Was out with the misses on the bikes and we were heading up to Llandeilo through Ammonford and since we cba going down through Pontabram we decided to ride through the lanes down into Garnswllt and then into Ammonford. As soon as we got past the white springs in Pontarddulais some guy stops us and warns us of a speed trap up the road, well. We continued on and on, eventually got into Garnswllt and what we found was more than a bloody speed trap!

5-6 cars and a few vans at least!

I warn anyone really... We all have days we dont pay attention or are rushing a bit.

However if I'm in London and you are a 17 year old chav whose nicked his dads merc then Ill tap my head. If they are as silly as I think they are they wont know what it means. However if they are smart they'll know the fuzz are in town :lol:

Cycle lanes should be banned!! Full of glass and other crap, stop start at every side road so you need to blend back onto traffic dangerously, normally some moron parked on them every 300 meters, on and off paths. I point blank refuse to use them as any good cyclist does. And the Highway Code says cyclists 'may' use them, but they dont have to!

Then complain to your council :?

Police camera vans were out in force today - they always seem to be loads of them around during the run up to Xmas. I know the Police dont get the revenue from the camera vans, but i wouldn't mind betting there is some annual target they need to reach to justify the running costs of the vans.. In fact I would be almost more annoyed if there was not a yearly target, as they are tax payer funded, so if they dont make economic sense (cost more to run than they make back in fines), it would just be another example of wasted tax payers money...

Anyway, I was driving my car on the A31, and noticed loads of new 60mph signs. for those that dont know, the A31 is twin lane, dual carriageway, so perfectly safe at national speed limit (and over!).

I was in my car, i came over the brow of a hill and immediately saw a camera van in the distance. My instinct reaction was to hit the brakes!!

The guy following behind me (quite closely!), not realising why i braked so sharply, indicated right and pulled out round me. Then he too noticed the van and he too braked sharply!!

So there we both were, two abreast on a two lane dual carriageway just come over the brow of a hill, and both on the brakes, slowed to about 40mph...

So my question is, how does the presence of that van make that road safer?? it doesnt. it just causes observant motorist like myself to hit the brakes the intant we see that van, and unobservant drivers to possibly ram us from behind!

Yes there were 60mph signs everywhere, but had i missed a drop to 40mph?? I wouldn't put it past the sneaky b*stards to have slipped in one 40mph sign amongst all of the 60mph signs, just to catch us out and make more money for the Governemt at Xmas.... :evil: :evil:

Many camera vans are now out catching untaxed and uninsured drivers.

I know you want to blame the camera van for you and the others driving, but its was you fault, poor observations. Sorry :D

I know you want to blame the camera van for you and the others driving, but its was you fault, poor observations. Sorry :D

Not blaming them, just questioning their purpose in life!

As for poor observation, i dont think i was even speeding when i saw it, Its just that my reflex was to hit the brakes as soon as i did see it, and thats my point, gut reaction is to brake, regardless of who is behind, road conditions etc etc. so there is a good chance Camera vans could easily cause more accidents than they prevent.

Not blaming them, just questioning their purpose in life!

As for poor observation, i dont think i was even speeding when i saw it, Its just that my reflex was to hit the brakes as soon as i did see it, and thats my point, gut reaction is to brake, regardless of who is behind, road conditions etc etc. so there is a good chance Camera vans could easily cause more accidents than they prevent.

there are two or three of these filmed by the same guy on the same road when a cop parks on a corner and even though the biker isn't doing anything wrong...

">

Sorry, Joe, Alex, panicking when seeing the police or a speed trap and then either driving badly or crashing, is that not the kind of driving you would criticise of with others?

One day in court "Your honour, it was the police's fault that I crashed as they made mine eyes bleed and brain explode" :wink:

Sorry, Joe, Alex, panicking when seeing the police or a speed trap and then either driving badly or crashing, is that not the kind of driving you would criticise of with others?

One day in court "Your honour, it was the police's fault that I crashed as they made mine eyes bleed and brain explode" :wink:

Falling off you bike because you grab too much front brake is panicking.. having a reflex reaction to brake when you see a speed van is pretty sensible thing to have and has saved my licence many times from the evil money grabbing cash wagons.

I'll warn the wagons, but not cars. Police have a tendency to have an unmarked cruising up and down here looking to 'do' people for flashing their lights in warning. :roll: Been several people up here been done for it. I did warn a biker, and got a completely confused reaction. Think he interpreted it differently and spent the next couple hundred yards trying to work out whether he knew me. Hopefully he twigged the camera van parked further down the road.

Police have a tendency to have an unmarked cruising up and down here looking to 'do' people for flashing their lights in warning.

"No idea what you're talking about officer, whats a camera van??.... Oh did, i flash my headlights?? i was trying to squirt my windscreen - i thought i was out of washer fluid, but maybe i pulled the wrong stalk how silly of me LOL"..... :twisted: