Fuel

dragolith

Looks like I am not riding until Spring now, but still a bit of fuel in the bike.

Is it safe to leave it, or will I need to drain it, if so how?

I trickle charge the battery once a week or so to maintain condition, other than that not sure what else to do, usually just leave it and its fine again in Spring.

Thanks.

some will say drain the fuel others will say it will be fine personally if it is only a small amount i would drain it but dont forget if the bike will be geting warm and then cold again where it is stored you might get a condense build up inside the tank resulting in a water pool round the seams,but the fuel in it shold be ok for a few months if you are not going to run the bike at all during this time i would drain the carbs of fuel to stop it going off inside them and blocking the jets

i'd say drain in from the carbs at the very least. there are all sorts of additives in unleaded fuel that cause it to go off pretty quick. you can add a fuel stabaliser and use it in the kiddies pit bike in a couple of months or a lawn mower or something.

syphon the fuel out of the fuel tank as best you can.

for the carbs, there should be a drain at the bottom of the float bowl. undo that (make sure to catch the fuel dribbling out!)

take the time while your bike's off road to do a good deep clean as well.

Drain the carbs but brim the tank it will be fine

I leave mine every year with fuel in the tank over winter and have never had a problem

A small amount will go off over a few months but a litre or so will take a lot longer

What Stu said. Brim the tank and drain the carbs. Put it on an optimate if you need the alarm and don't start it. If you don't have an alarm, remove battery to somewhere warm indoors and keep it on a trickle charger..

I have a lot of experience with small petrol engines in aircraft and rc cars etc, in them there are various seals and rubber things that need to be kept with fuel in or they dry out and crack. Is there nothing like this in a bike carb? Just surprised to see everyone say drain them that's all, I wouldn't.

Thanks guys, think I'll leave it. The bike is stored indoors. What are your thoughts of starting her up once a week to keep the fluids optimal? Once spring comes, I will be taking her for a pre season service, also the exhaust is wobbling at the downpipe join, so need to get a bracket on that. Honda can do it, as they fitted the downpipes :mrgreen:

I cannot wait for Winter to go away! :evil:

In case this helps anyone. Fuel that is old still burns in an engine. It is a lot harder to start using old fuel but it still does its job. I know this as I have just got a car running using the 3 year old fuel in its tank lol. I wasn't expecting it to start tbh but it now starts and runs for the first time since 2009.

I'd always advise a start every two weeks, stops ring marks forming on the bores, keeps fluids distributed. It's just a good idea. ALWAYS run it until hot tho then a few more minutes, aim for the fan kicking in. Be sure your fan works tho! Watch the gauge.

I'd always advise a start every two weeks, stops ring marks forming on the bores, keeps fluids distributed. It's just a good idea. ALWAYS run it until hot tho then a few more minutes, aim for the fan kicking in. Be sure your fan works tho! Watch the gauge.

it would have to be sitting a long time to get marks on the cylinder walls from the rings like as long as uk190's car :lol:

that marks are caused by condensation and lack of lubrication in the bores and been stood a LONG time starting it up and just letting the fan kick in isnt enough to burn off all the condensation and would cause more condensation

Yeah the longer it stands the more chance of issues, I've seen rings rust to bore in under 3 months tho, the engines I strip that have stood in the cold show signs of deterioration more than the ones people warm to running temp every few weeks, I can't say any more :? It would depend where it was stored etc too!

I think we all know short starts are not great, but as a general rule, any vehicle I have ever had that has been laid up for any amount of time has basically deteriorated. Cars more than bikes to be fair, but vehicles generally like to be driven/ridden. cars go mouldy, rubber manifolds and intakes dry out and crack, electric windows stop working. I think things just like to be used to keep them in good order.

I think if I was taking a bike off the road for the winter I would do what my neighbour does, he keeps his three main bikes in his living room, each chair has a bike behind it. At least you know it will stay warm then. Mine lives outside, and I make myself go for a good long ride, even if I don't need to, at least once a month. I actually find it a good excuse to make me go for a ride, which I enjoy, whereas, otherwise, I might just not bother.

Hi all, the guy who tuned my Bimota a few years back gave me an insight as to what happens if you drain the fuel system or allow it to dry up since the arrival of unleaded fuel. The problem is greater with a carb engine than a fuel injected engine due to the fuel injection engine pumping the fuel under extreme high pressure thus having less chance of blocking. On removing the float chambers on my Bimota you could see a film of resin type of deposits which he had great difficulty in cleaning out l must say. He said he has had bikes that the carbs were so glued up that they had to be replaced. He told me to never drain the bike down and to run the up every now and again until the cooling fan cuts in or the engine is hot should you have an air cooled motor and just top up the tank with fresh fuel as and when. You can see the deposits in the float chamber on the attached picture.

DSC00170.JPG.1396c031c0227fc049422cf2fdd8ba43.JPG