Honda xr125 starting problem

Josh

Hello guys basically my xr has decided to stop starting up recently - I've had similar problems with it in the past but now it's becoming a real problem as my bike will simply not start on the button anymore I thought at first it was definitely just a battery problem because it really doesn't get ridden a lot, but after the bike needing to be bump started and then cutting out after about a mile when I stopped at the lights I decided to take it for a ride to give the battery a little boost. I gave it a good 10-12 mile ride to just make sure it at least had enough juice to get started and get me to work the next day but it didn't help at all the battery still seemed completely flat and the starter just made a rattling noise as if it had no juice left, so I've given it a few more miles and tried to keep it running more and more and it doesn't seem to be improving at all. When I tried to start it to get to work yesterday it had nothing and at times actually didn't even respond to me pushing the button at all (made absolutely no noise or anything) so i'm wondering what the problem could actually be - it is important to note that once the bike has been started it only needs the normal amount of time before it will tick over fine and it will not cut out or anything and runs with no problems, however when I stopped yesterday (after I had been riding fine for 10 minutes) and put my bike in the garage I straight away tried to start it up again and it still wouldn't start.

Any help if greatly appreciated, thank you.

Do you have a voltmeter? Put it across the battery terminals and with the engine running, it should be showing between 12 and 14 volts if the battery is charging, if not your alternator or regulator could be faulty.

Its always worth checking all connections too, especially the earth.

:thumb:

I don't have a voltmeter or anything. I just tried to start it a minute ago and some times it made a noise as if it was trying to start, then just a rattling buzz and also as I said earlier it sometimes just didn't respond :? also I have no idea when the battery was last changed because I don't have a service history with the bike - all I know is that the bike is over 7 years old.

The "rattling buzz" will probably be the solonoid, as there is not enough power in the battery.

It could be the battery that is worn out, but without a volt meter to check, you're not going to be sure without buying a new one!

Can you borrow one from a friend or just go buy a cheap one, their only a few pounds for a basic one.

Okay thanks, so i've ordered a multimeter but for now is it a good idea to assume the battery is just flat and just try and bump start it and leave it ticking over so it can charge or is it a case of charging it using a battery charge or buying a new battery which is problably going to be expensive for either of those things isn't it :(

Chances are that the battery is just not holding a charge....but I wouldn't jump to doing anything else until you've got the voltmeter and can check the battery voltage with the engine running..... :)

Well it would definitely seem as though the battery isn't holding charge as it was still flat after the 12 miles I done. Does it mean the alternator is working fine if the lights regain their brightness when the engine is revved, as at the moment the lights are noticeably dimmed without the engine running and the lights on the dash are dimmed too. If the battery is failing to hold charge do I need to take it to a bike garage or will a battery for my bike be easy to get hold of and fit (even for somebody like me with no expertise), also if anybody knows the rough price for a battery that would be handy as it seems this is going to be a likely outcome. Thanks for the help.

It does sound as though it could be a duff battery (or bad connection?)

Where abouts are you, it's not on your profile??

Changing a battery is usually very simple on most bikes, and I would expect to pay around £30 for one.

Edit: I've just looked on Ebay for you and you can get them for £20 inc postage!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Battery-YTX5L-BS-Honda-XR125L-XR-125-L-03-04-/160584576192?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2563962cc0

If the lights brighten or dim when you rev the engine that can indicate an alternator fault. (as in, from tickover, not non running)

If your alternator is not working then a 12 mile run wont charge the battery either, but if it's not working at all the bike wont run for 12 miles as there wont be enough power to supply spark when it is flat.

Have to agree with above, does sound likely to be the battery though.

I'm near Brighton by the way, just updated my profile didn't realise I hadn't done that. I have taken the battery out and checked that nothing looks loose or out of place but I haven't properly taken everything out and checked it over and stuff as I would probably cause more harm than good :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Battery-YTX5L-BS-Honda-XR125L-XR-125-L-03-04-/160584576192?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2563962cc0 a lot cheaper than I expected so that's a decent battery then it's not like a cheap alternative or anything? Thanks for that.

I'm still waiting for my multimeter to arrive which is quite annoying I was hoping it would be here on Monday or at least today but oh well. When it arrives hopefully i'll be able to find out the problem and get myself back on the road!