post test question!

Guest lukebolger

hey guys!

something my instructor didnt give me a clear answer on,

when your asked to pull over, do you keep your indicator on? or switch it off?

and also, he said, before indicating either right or left, you check your RIGHT mirror and shoulder? wouldnt it make more sense to check the left shoulder and mirror for turn left instead of checking the right for both?

thanks!

I don't know the definitive answers to these questions....but I would have thought that you leave the indicator on until you come to a standstill.

Looking over your right shoulder is your "lifesaver"......and it's s good habit to do it no matter which manouvre you are performing.... :wink:

An examiner will be looking for good observation.....so make it obvious....but not to the detriment of looking forwards.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

When I did my car test my instructor told me then once stopped to go handbrake gear indicator. Working up the car.

Now when I did my bike then last year, I always turned my indicator off after I stopped. Instructor and examiner never had anything to say so I assume this would be the thing to do. Plus there is no chance of leaving your indicator on and getting a minor/major or worse a car pull out on you!

As for the observation, my instructor said without doubt do a life saver for turning right. when turning left, unless changing lanes or you've just passed something on your inside, ie push bike or parked vehicle not to bother with a left shoulder check. Just mirror signal maneuver :)

especially those BMW drivers eh Bob :wink:

Ah.... now Stu.....I could actually be blamed for this poxy weather as I now drive a Swedish car....and the weather has been kind enough to let me have the entire Scandinavian experience...... :lol: :lol:

And I was actually a disgrace to BMW drivers the country over as I couldn't help but use the indicators.....and yes...they do actually have them fitted.... :lol: :lol:

Damn didnt realise you had a new motor :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean mine work on the Audi just fine :shock:

:lol: :lol: ....yeah, got the Volvo at the beginning of the month mate..... :wink: ......and the indicators also work on this too.......although you can't see them for all the other lights on it...... :lol: :lol:

Yes right shoulder check. I also found this wierd to get used to, I think its based more on the idea someone may be passing you on the right, you wouldnt (shouldnt) have anyone passing you on the left. I often checked both ways, if I'm not happy its clear, I dont do it.

Indicator off once you've stopped. I was told to turn it off if I didnt cancel it as soon as I had stopped.

I think its based more on the idea someone may be passing you on the right, you wouldnt (shouldnt) have anyone passing you on the left.

Correct. You can only 'undertake' legally in cetain circumstances so nobody 'should' be in that position.

Indicator off once stopped and in neutral.

My understanding of it is, for a basic left turn into a side road.

check mirrors, get into position on the left, this prevents any undertaking.

the right shoulder check is to then make sure no one is dangerously overtaking you, as you are giving them room to do so.