Rear brake squeal - Drives me nuts!

Benn

Hopefully this is my last problem for a while :oops:

My rear brake squeals whenever I put it on at low speed, which was embarrassing as I rode past Loomies earlier! Should I clean the pads? Or could it me something else?

As always, I appreciate any replies :)

moved to pitstop!!

you may need a smear of copper slip on the back of the pads

Oh! Sorry about that. I didn't spot that section :oops: Okay, I'll look into that!

is is disc or drum brake?

Drum :)

actually forget the copper slip didnt realise it was drum

strip it and clean it

it will be brake dust inside the drum

Will do! That's a job for tomorrow afternoon then. Thank you! :D

If not dust then potentially the shoes have worn to the metal. If I were going to go to the hassle of removing and stripping the wheel and drum then I'd fit new shoes while I had it in bits.

If not dust then potentially the shoes have worn to the metal. If I were going to go to the hassle of removing and stripping the wheel and drum then I'd fit new shoes while I had it in bits.

I hope not. My bank account is severely depleted at the moment. If they are bad, I'll have to out it back together and order the parts, then take it apart again when they come as I need my bike every day. That's gonna be frustrating if they do need replacing.

Hi, if they are worn to the point of steel on steel don't use it. Its dangerous the metals can fuse together and lock up the wheel, also instead of replacing just the pads you might end up wanting a new rear wheel :shock: Fingers crossed its just dust in there. Stay safe

It has begun. I've got the wheel off and opened(?) the drum brake. It's and absolute dump in there! Filthy :shock:

But the shoes are in great nick, so no big expenditure there. On my way out to get brake cleaner. I'll be done soon! :)

Thanks for the advice guys! :cheers:

It has begun. I've got the wheel off and opened(?) the drum brake. It's and absolute dump in there! Filthy :shock:

But the shoes are in great nick, so no big expenditure there. On my way out to get brake cleaner. I'll be done soon! :)

Don't think you need brake cleaner mate......just a brush or compressed air (just cover your mouth and nose if you use air....you don't want to be inhaling that dust)...... :wink:

Don't think you need brake cleaner mate......just a brush or compressed air (just cover your mouth and nose if you use air....you don't want to be inhaling that dust)...... :wink:

It's all black, oily and grimy. I don't know how, because it's supposed to be fairly closed off.

I'll post a pic to make sure it does need cleaning! If that's okay?

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u577/BennXD/Motorbike/IMG_0108_zps51ab2c1c.jpg

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u577/BennXD/Motorbike/IMG_0107_zpsc9e50725.jpg

DONE.

That grease seal looks a bit worn

It looks fine in person! I checked it when you said that. It just seems to be a trick of the light :)

In that picture it looks as if the edges of the pads have been grinding on something also the inner edge of the hub looks bright maybe they have been in contact? hence the noise. That black gunky stuff looks like ground alloy and not just brake dust, check all the bearing and spacer to make sure they are all in tolerance and that nothing is coming together that shouldn’t be.