Yamaha XT 125 - Rust around engine - Need opinions!

Guest josh_j_mcg

Thought I'd ask in here for some help/opinions.

Im buying my first bike and sitting my CBT in the next 2 weeks.

I found what looks like a decent deal near me, a 2005 Yamaha XT 125 X. Just passed its MOT a few days ago and its up for just over £650.

The only thing I'm worried about is around the engine area looks like it has a fair bit of surface rust. I'm seeing the bike tomorrow and was hoping to buy it there and then if it turns out to be ok. I know to look for the usual stuff like checking alignments, the bars etc but its the rust that looks like its the only thing wrong.

I've attached a few pictures if anyone could take a look and help me out. If in peoples opinions, without seeing the bike, it looks OK and like just some surface rust that can be cleaned up then I'd still take the bike as its quite hard to get bikes here in Scotland that are close enough to go view and within my budget.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2exob9c.png

http://i40.tinypic.com/15rfo5g.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mn2dlx.png

Any help with it would be much appreciated. As I said, it seems like a good deal - 05 plate, £650, passed its MOT a few days ago.

xt1.png.b4368a40c50aaf6e561a5b22737b8332.png

Pic 1

xt2.png.7defe98deb677b03844597ec00288b8c.png

Pic 2

xt3.png.8652865cd188be91a2c7e259f10de7b0.png

Pic 3

Welcome to the forum mate......... 8-)

Say hello in the newbies section when you can...... 8-)

If it's surface rust then a bit of a cleanup and some hammerite will sort it.......just watch out as this may be an indication of a bit of neglect by the previous owner......so check other things like fork legs, chain & sprockets, etc.......but may be ok....... :wink:

Guest Hodgy

It may have just been ridden through winter on salt covered roads, it doesn't take long to do that if they're not cleaned off properly after use.

Check everything else and if its all ok then that should clean up and look pretty again :thumb:

Welcome to the forum mate......... 8-)

Say hello in the newbies section when you can...... 8-)

If it's surface rust then a bit of a cleanup and some hammerite will sort it.......just watch out as this may be an indication of a bit of neglect by the previous owner......so check other things like fork legs, chain & sprockets, etc.......but may be ok....... :wink:

Lol, even in Greece ya can't keep away :mrgreen:

Where were you posting this, on a sandy beach having a massage while slurping a Long Island Ice Tea??

Hi, nice looking bike despite the dirt and rust. But that is all it is.

- give it a really good clean, this video series takes you through the various steps

">

- get some Kurust and treat the rusted parts on the frame. Paint with black enamel paint.

- get some high temperature paint and paint the exhaust, touch up the engine.

- consider getting the bash plate and pillion foot peg hangers powder coated, should cost £50 ish.

Stand back and admire :D

Hi, nice looking bike despite the dirt and rust. But that is all it is.

- give it a really good clean, this video series takes you through the various steps

">

- get some Kurust and treat the rusted parts on the frame. Paint with black enamel paint.

- get some high temperature paint and paint the exhaust, touch up the engine.

- consider getting the bash plate and pillion foot peg hangers powder coated, should cost £50 ish.

Stand back and admire :D

Thanks for the advice mate, videos very informative. First stop tomorrow morning will be Halfords to get some kid and start cleaning her up

Doesn't look too bad really. So long as the engine runs and electrics are OK, you should be fine.

I'd buy it and spend time riding instead of messing about making it look pretty :)

Doesn't look too bad really. So long as the engine runs and electrics are OK, you should be fine.

I'd buy it and spend time riding instead of messing about making it look pretty :)

Yeh, its my first bike so I'm guessing I'll drop it at some point since everyone I seem to speak to tells me its pretty much guaranteed to happen, so no point in making it look cracking if thats going to happen :lol:

:stupid:

Save any work for a series of wet and windy days when you can't ride it, clean it up, service it, wack on some crash protection :thumb:

Yeh, its my first bike so I'm guessing I'll drop it at some point since everyone I seem to speak to tells me its pretty much guaranteed to happen, so no point in making it look cracking if thats going to happen :lol:

Exactly!! Give it a good coat of WD40 and ride it!

Then when you do drop it you won't cry as much.

If you really feel the urge to clean it up or you want to learn about bikes, as fozzie says, use the cold dark wet winter weekends to take bits off and clean them up :)

In the meantime, just ride!!! :cheers: