Need new gear

Helllo all

I've just got my first geared bike last week and my current gear are the cheap stuff that I had for commuting on scooter.So I need to be kitted from scratch.Ill only be usin the bike for pleasure so no cold weather or heavy rain protection needed.My Q is starting with the helmet is it worth it that I spend 300-400quid and get a shoei or arai rather then 100-150 caberg or else especially when the finances are low with purchase of bike.

And gloves which I know nothin about what should I budget for half decent pair.

Thanks

Helmet: The one that fits :D

All helmets sold in this country have to conform to BSI/kitemark standard they'll all be good to a point. You'll get comfort/better wind noise/venting/removable liners/internal visors.... all for your money but they must all be to a certain standard. If you want to look at safety go to the Sharp website, you'll be amazed at how some cheaper helmets offer better protection than the more expensive ones!

A £60-100 helmet that fits will offer far better protection than the £500 Arai that doesn't. Go to a shop, try on every single one in there. Get the ones that fit and see what features they have and which of those you like and how much you're prepared to spend on each of them.

First helmet I got fit nicely in the shop and when I was having lessons at an hour a time it was no problem at all. Problems arose first time I went for a long ride when I found out that it pressed across my forehead and gave me the most EVIL pressing headache after about an hour and a half. When I got this one I got the helmet I liked and asked if I could take it home, wear it watching the tele for a couple of hours that evening and if it had the same problem take it back the following day. Worth asking if you can do the same.

Gloves: Depending where you are you can get a decent pair for anything from £20. Have a look on eBay or have a look round the BMF show next month.

Check out the Sharp site for the safety ratings for crash hats......there are some very good 4 & 5* lids at less than £100....... :wink:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

And if you can make it up to Peterborough next month for the BMF Tailend show there could be some decent kit at good prices up there as OhJay says....... 8-)

Not sure what the rating for my £80 Spada helmet is, but I had an off @ 30 and landed headfirst and my brain is still in tact (though others would probably argue it never was) :D hahaha!

My huby's interested in getting a white helmet as meant to be safer (and he wants a sun visor etc), and I've just seen on the helmet safety site thingy that this white spada helmet is v cheap, got 4 stars, has a visor, remooovable lining, anti scratch visor, and costs approx £55! http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/spada-evolution

Also, buy my jacket - currently only 99p :lol: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171100840978? ... 1555.l2649

I have size 8 newish Oxford boots to sell too :wink: haha *shameless self promoootion!*

Thanks for the replys

So the price is irreleva its the comfort and safety (sharp rating) that's important.my current one is very comfortable but wind noise levels are very high is there a way to find this out before buyin like something to look for.When lookin for gloves realised gore tex ones are much more expensive are they much better then others.

Apologies if these are dumb Qs but I'm sure I'll get wiser with some exprience (well that's the hope).

Thanks for the replys

So the price is irreleva its the comfort and safety (sharp rating) that's important.my current one is very comfortable but wind noise levels are very high is there a way to find this out before buyin like something to look for.When lookin for gloves realised gore tex ones are much more expensive are they much better then others.

Apologies if these are dumb Qs but I'm sure I'll get wiser with some exprience (well that's the hope).

Wind noise is difficult to judge until you actually ride anywhere with the lid on.......but earplugs will help...... :wink: Schuberth lids are supposed to be amongst the quietest lids around......but not cheap either.... :shock:

Goretex gloves are mainly waterproof......and carry a higher price tag because of that......depends on budget but you may be better off looking for a couple of sets of gloves.....lighter ones for summer use....and some heavier ones for Winter..... :wink:

The only stupid question is the one not asked mate......so ask away...... 8-)

Thanks tango

Just checked schuberth lids prices :shock: and I think order of the day will be a caberg ego and a pair of earplugs + goretex winter gloves and keep using the cheap gloves I've already got in the summer.

What are the chances of gettin good deals at the BMF show in Peterborough?Is it worth taking a day of at work as I work weekends?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks tango

Just checked schuberth lids prices :shock: and I think order of the day will be a caberg ego and a pair of earplugs + goretex winter gloves and keep using the cheap gloves I've already got in the summer.

What are the chances of gettin good deals at the BMF show in Peterborough?Is it worth taking a day of at work as I work weekends?

Thanks

Sorry mate....late reply.... :oops:

Erm.....the BMF Tailender is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment......a few years back I would have said it was definitely worth taking a day off to go there......but these days.....well, it's tailing off a bit..... :wink: Generally there are enough traders there to get some good bargains....but there is absolutely no guarantee of that this year......dunno if there's even a list of traders to look at and judge from......so it could be a bit of a gamble..... :wink:

Thats surely as visible as it gets Piers even a bat wouldn't miss that :mrgreen:

Got myself a shark s700 last week Ill wright a rewiew in a couple of weeks about it.Thanks for the suggestion.

Since I'm a biker in the making Ill do my best to be there and see what it's all about.thanks again tango :thumb: