Buying a house ... why can't it be SIMPLE!!!

XmisterIS

We are buying a new house and selling the old one.

If certain other people in the chain were reasonable then the whole process would be (relatively) easy.

Instead, it is now turning into something of a bugger's nightmare because in our opinion (which is candidly shared by the estate agent and the lawyer) the very young first time buyers at the bottom of the chain are naive, unreasonable and stubborn (which is never a good combination).

In a nutshell, they wanted a wait of no longer than 6 weeks from the date that their offer was accepted until completion. And this, in a chain that is 7 parties long. Their attitude is, "we live in a one-bed flat and we can pack all our worldly possessions into two suitcases and move in 24 hours flat, so why can't the rest of you?"

(Rant over ...)

We've got a house ready to move into - the whole chain is just waiting for the people at the top to pull their finger out - everyone has had their surveys done, we're just waiting to exchange - we are in the middle of the chain - and the people at the bottom are throwing their toys out of the pram - as if that is going to make it all go any faster. We are now in danger of them pulling out and making the whole chain collapse because they "didn't realise it would all take so long and not sure if they can be bothered to wait". :evil:

That's a shite attitude on their part...

Them at the bottom can leave anytime, just put up with it for a few weeks.

Those at the top need more time, those in the middle get caught in cross fire...

Moving house is never a quick and easy process, you'd think a first time buyer would know this and keep their trap shut as they have no other experience :?

Wow. How long does this kind of thing usually take?

I would assume the longer it takes, the more financial pressure on the first time buyers at the bottom who are throwing money away on rent which I why they're panicking?

Wow. How long does this kind of thing usually take?

I would assume the longer it takes, the more financial pressure on the first time buyers at the bottom who are throwing money away on rent which I why they're panicking?

The way it works is that the chain is usually built from the bottom up - 1st time buyer makes an offer on a house, then no. 2 in the chain can make an offer on the next house up, etc, all the way to the top of the chain.

Assuming a 1 week wait between offers being accepted up the chain, there's 7 people in our chain, which means that by the time the people at the top have accepted their offer, the people at the bottom have been waiting 7 weeks (which is pretty much what has happened in our case). The next thing is waiting for surveys to be done and for all that to cascade down the chain. Sometimes problems crop up, people go on holiday, etc, etc. In other words "life" happens.

The trouble is that the very young tend to think that just because they've made a plan, that's how it should turn out. They are not experienced enough to know that, as the saying goes, "God laughs at your plans". That is life. The best thing to do is just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride rather than battling against it and pissing everyone off in the process.

Yes, they are spending money on rent, but if they pull out now, they are going to be spending even more money on rent because they have to start all over again. That's the way life is. They are never ever going to be able to avoid life's problems.

I think they need to grow up fast and accept that life isn't all about "me me me me me". :evil: