Brake Discs rusting

dragolith

Took the cover off my bike today for first time in about 2/3 weeks. After the last ride, I cleaned it all with a cold hose on low pressure, and wiped it all down, and coated all the easy to reach metal with ACF-50.

Noticed that the brake discs were rusting :shock:

Also a bunch of crud on them, so I immediately washed with cold soapy water and a brush after a quick google. Fired the engine up for a few mins, and cleaned the bike again.

Winter hates me :x

I dont have anywhere to store it indoors, is this normal for winter? Sould I be worried?

Ill be putting her through a full service come spring, for sure.

Have you kept your bike under a cover ?

That would help ....

Other thing ... hose it down with cold water after each ride, if you have ridden on salty roads?

It is pretty normal in Winter ....

None are bullet-proof, but some makes/models do tend to cope better than others ...

Be thankful you don't have to maintain an early Bandit - they REALLY do hate winter

:D

My discs only need a few days before rust starts appearing on them,its garaged as well :roll: i have asked the same question and apprantly its quite normal it will go as soon as you use your brakes

I havent ridden for like 2/3 weeks. Time and weather have put me off.

Yeah its covered, pretty well by a single cover. And I thoroughly washed it after my last ride. Just dont get where the crud came from... :roll:

Oh well, thanks for advice, guess Im just worrying as its my first winter as a biker. :roll:

I dont have anywhere to store it indoors, is this normal for winter?

If I didn't have a garage, I'd keep mine in the lounge .... :lol:

Depends on what you can get away with though :twisted:

Well my nan has a garage, which my car is residing in! But going round there is such a bother, she doesnt shut up...:roll:

And if I could get away with having it in the lounge, I would! :lol:

keep your bike in the garage :!:

Bikes are, generally speaking, much more susceptible to corrosion than cars.... unless of course it's a Fiat :twisted:

Besides ... in terms of prioritising .. bikes are defo more important :wink: :lol:

Well my nan has a garage, which my car is residing in!

But going round there is such a bother, she doesnt shut up...:roll:

On a different note altogether ...

Do you think your Nan is getting enough company :?:

It's a very common thing for oldies to yabber like mad when the opportunity arises if they feel isolated ....

Probably not as she lives alone.

Why are you offering to be my grandad? :lol:

No ...

I was trying to drop a not so subtle hint that you should get off your fat arse and go and see her more often :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Probably not as she lives alone.

Why are you offering to be my grandad? :lol:

No ...

I was trying to drop a not so subtle hint that you should get off your fat bum and go and see her more often :twisted: :lol: :lol:

could always get her a p.c.............i,m sure she would get on fine with some of us on here :lol:

Spent ages wiping down my chain with oil yesterday to get rid of rust and it lives in the garage, it gets loved and affectioned enough and this is how it repays me, ho hum

And yes your not doing it any favours just running it stationary, you need to run it literally not just sit with the engine running.

all i can say for you lot with rust buckets is......

...buy a better bike :lol: :lol:

mine is still rust free :D disks are ok chain is ok and i have been out on it and washed it and even put it away wet :lol:

im telling ya suzuki is the way to go ohh and its 10 years old too :shock: :?

:lol:

Here Here...........Apart from the Suzi bit, I prefer Sussi's rather than Suzi's :oops:

same here but findi a suzi to ride is easier then a sussi :lol:

You're obviously wearing them wrong mate :wink:

:lol:

Ed, yeah I know,

we should all visit our grandparents more than we do... :roll:

That's an innovative use of the royal "we" :lol: :lol:

Me? I visit my own, one remaining Grandpappy several times a week ...

It's not a great hardship. He's 101... Tells some great tales ....

My brother, on the other hand, has been to see the old boy once in the last 6 months. Which I find particularly disgusting, as our Grandpap was very kind to him in the past.