Kawasaki ZXR400 L1

Hi All,

Thought I would start a new 'topic' to use as my little progress blog and anyone who wants to follow along can do :)

Anyways always thought motorbike were cool as my dad had one uncle and cousins had them too, they all went to the TT in 2012 and when i finally got a well paid job i thought i would sell my little Peugeot 106 and get my motorbike license and a motorbike.

As a younger rider ;) I love the look of the sportier looking bikes, and because of my age (19) i can only look for motorbikes with 46bhp or bikes that can have limiters on them and also something that i can afford.

Looking on different websites looking for what bikes were decent and in my price range i saw the Kawasaki ZXR 400, i loved the way they looked straight away. so i searched and searched to see what there was on ebay and other advertising sites....

i came home from work one day and my dad said to me whats wrong with this bike on ebay and showed me it and it was gleaming, i dont know how i missed it. it had 45 mins left on the auction and we were deciding whether to bid on it or not, the description of the bike was so long you could tell the bloke who was selling it wasnt just trying to flog the bike, he was passionate about it and wanted it to go to a good home. it come to the last 15mins and i decided i would bid on it. last 30seconds i put my highest price i would pay for it and then 30 seconds later the bike was mine.

i havent even passed my motorbike theory yet and i have brought this bike haha.

anyways the next day after work me and the old man went to go pick it up. when the bloke took the cover off the bike, it looked so much better then the pictures that were on ebay, i was so happy and just didnt know what to say when i saw it, he then started it up and it sounds amazing too. all the money got taken care of and all the rest of it then my dad had the pleasure of riding it back with me stuck driving the car gorming at it all the way back.

here is a picture of the beast after a quick clean...

http://i.imgur.com/hZbveku.jpg

this is where it starts to go down hill, we went to look at it properly the next day and found a little oil leak on the floor this was not a good sign, we took the fairing off and found out where the oil was coming from, it was coming from the generator. we took the cover of and found that there was no gasket so hopefully a new gasket and a little tidy up then that should cured.

also when we were looking at the bike in more detail we found that there was a little leak from the forks, we havent had time to look at this properly but if anyone could give advise on this or if anyone has had the same problem and shed some light then that would be great full.

these things were very dissapointing to find because the bloke said the bike was fine so unless he was lying or the journey back caused them two problems?

this is the first part of my motorbike journey and i hope everyone likes :)

hi and welcome to the forum

it looks like you have a nice clean example there

the thing with this is that its a 1991 model so you are expected to have a few problems

the geny cover is a common problem for leaks but to have no gasket is a bit poor!

as for the forks if the bike has been sat for a bit then it could have caused the seals to leak if the stanchions are good (the chrome slidy bits) then strip them replace the seals and fill back up with oil :)

there must be something about the zxr400 and not passing your test as thats what I did and so did a mate of mine :lol: I had my zxr for about 4 months before doing test :shock:

hi and welcome to the forum

it looks like you have a nice clean example there

the thing with this is that its a 1991 model so you are expected to have a few problems

the geny cover is a common problem for leaks but to have no gasket is a bit poor!

as for the forks if the bike has been sat for a bit then it could have caused the seals to leak if the stanchions are good (the chrome slidy bits) then strip them replace the seals and fill back up with oil :)

there must be something about the zxr400 and not passing your test as thats what I did and so did a mate of mine :lol: I had my zxr for about 4 months before doing test :shock:

cheers mate, its a really nice bike and happy i have got it but its just that he said there was nothing wrong with it and then as soon as i get it home then its got 2 problems already.

hopefully it is just the gasket and the forks if the shiny bits are smooth then just replace the seals ?

im hoping to do my test at the end of oct this year so not that far away cant wait to get on it :)

i bet it was horrible with it just sitting there for 4 months before you passed your test haha

yeah if the stanchions are ok with no rust on them then it will be just new seals and fresh oil

make sure you get genuine seals as others are just cheap crap that wont last 5 mins

if you have rust or pitting on the stanchions then get saving for a decent set of forks or repair the ones you have

yeah if the stanchions are ok with no rust on them then it will be just new seals and fresh oil

make sure you get genuine seals as others are just cheap crap that wont last 5 mins

if you have rust or pitting on the stanchions then get saving for a decent set of forks or repair the ones you have

ok mate thanks for that, where are the best places online to order genuine kawasaki parts from and obviously and decent price?

and also if they are rusty and that how much are new ones roughly if you know of the top of your head ?