Placaes to stay in Switzerland

iffy

I'm off to the Alps 26/7/2014-9/8/2014 and am looking for recommendations for accomoadation for a 1-2 nights in Switzerland, no camping though. The plan is to do the Grimselpass and Furkapass on the way to Austria.

Thanks for that looks like they are now Ibis hotels, did you spend long in Switzerland? still undecided how long to spend there

personally i woud't go back........... far to expensive. we (my other half and i) overnighted in luzern on our way to italy. on our return we just passed through via geneva, however on our return a reciept for a mac dons worked out to £23 (burgerx2, fries large x2, large cokex2) . that said it is beautiful.

Many Bikers stay in Andermatt which is handy for the passes you mentioned. I haven't been there for years but others are saying it is being heavily developed and losing its appeal. Switzerland is notoriously expensive.

I posted this on another thread>

Be aware that the Swiss Police are very hot on speeding and that the national speed limits on normal roads is only 80kph. They aren't so much anti biker, rather anti motorist full stop. The fines are frightening and appear to be means tested. Play down your occupation if you do get caught.

In recent years they have been stopping bikes wholesale and doing checks for things like tyres. The going rate for a defective tyre was €500,-.

In excess of €1000,- plus an instant ban for speeding is common place.

Personaly I only go in to Switzerland if I have to but many others have uneventful trips year after year. It is just some don't. Have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use booking.com app on my phone to find a room near where i am at the time, saves having to meet deadlines and pre planroutes.

The san bernardino pass is a nice ride and has several small towns to find a room for not much money, even in mid summer.

I would edit my last post but it's not here yet, being a noob and all that.

Are you going via swiss because you want to or just because it seems the best way?

If it was me i'd just go down via belgium and lux, saarbrucken, stuttgart and Munich and into Austria that way.

No tolls needed, no swiss tax and just an Austrian vignette for cheap money if you want to use their motorways.

If you do get one, make sure you confirm it's for a motorcycle because the people in petrol stations etc seem to never know there is a cheaper one for bikes and try to sell you a car one.