Your Gear/Layers This Winter :D

Hokay so I thought it'd be funny to show why I look like a giant black marshmallow this winter, and see/find out what other winter riders are rocking. My jacket isn't particularly warm, as you can see... :lol:

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/LayersonMotorbikecopy_zpsbe826483.jpg

That be 6 layers under the jacket - 3 of which are different thicknesses of jumpers (not inc back protector and bra socks!! :mrgreen: ) - which keeps me at a happy temperature. 1 less and I start feeling the cold :shock: ! Can't do up my bike trousers with the jumpers tucked in - so I roll em up ifit rains...which makes me look even bigger :lol: !! Also have 2 neckwarmers...

I wear stupid gloves for this weather - not warm enough with a separate thermal lining glove underneath (after 30+mins/on particularly cold days/nights I usually have to stop to warm my hands on the engine). But I've struggled to find anything warmer that I like, and the heated grips have proven impossible to fit due to the screws in my bar ends not wanting to shift!

Also my new RST trousers + thermal lining are spot on (I wear jeans under them too), as are my new bikey boots which haven't leaked at all and I'm forever cleaning to keep the white bits white :angel1: .

Despite the hassle of the extra layers, I'm loving riding through the winter, but cannot wait for spring! Esp as I don't travel outside of Cambridge due to the cold - and I have been travelling to South London most weekends (via train - I head down in the dark Fri eves and back as late as I can on Sundays). Within seconds I am too hot on the platform/train - helmet is in the toss box, but I have to carry allll those layers, and a change of shoes and my stuff in my backpack haha! Must look like a loon even more than usual...

What layers do you wear...Tshirt and leathers, right? :lol: Pics if poss too please...if camera shy, then just of your gear 8-)

Sorry I was distracted by all the black & white Moos all over the furniture & mirror lol

I'm away work so can't do pics but I also go for more thinner layers than one big layer if you get me, plus a heated jacket for cold mornings eveings, but atm my car is toasty :mrgreen:

T shirt jumper and bike jacket, neck tube, helmet, winter gloves, jeans and waterproof overtrousers, its a daily ride so need convenience

Very similar here, although typically lined bike trousers and no jeans

Whenever I go see wifey (Southern Spain) and see the bikers there, the jealous meter goes off scale though :(

My layers are a t-shirt, hoodie and a Frank Thomas waterproof jacket or my leather depending on the day. I usually wear jeans on me bottom half but have finally treated myself to some thermal lined waterproof trousers.

This the full kit list for seriously cold riding, such as we had last winter. This winter I have ditched one layer and the waterproof outer clothing.

Head - Black thermal balaclava (Black being the makers name)

Top half - Go Outdoors Hi Gear thermal long sleeved t shirt. Primark thin jumper. Aldi windproof motorcycle top. Hein Gericke jacket with thermal lining attached, Spada waterproof over jacket.

Bottom half - Aldi thermal leggings and motorcycle socks, Knox cold killer over socks, Hein Gericke trousers with thermal lining.

Hands - IXS gortex winter gloves, Knox cold killer gloves, Weise waterproof over gloves.

The waterproof over layers really help keep off the wind and so keep you warm. I was not wearing them to keep dry.

Pants + thermal socks ---> Thermal trousers and top ---> Work trousers and shirt ---> Neck tube/waterproof armoured bike trousers/armoured bike jacket ---> Thick winter gloves ---> waterproof jacket (if raining) ---> Leather boots ---> Helmet.

Takes about 5-6 minutes to get it all on. not to bad if im honest :)

• 1 month later...

merrino wool top leggins are your friends here, much better than man made. plus they take ages for them to go smelly and......... its feels nice next to the skin :love: