radiator help

littlecat

right, it seems the case that my cbr may have some leaking issues with the rad.

did the full service on her a couple of weeks ago, topped up the ( admittedly ) apparently empty rad, and then took her to London this week for a mate to do some work on her, and when checked on Saturday the plastic tank was empty and the rad low , seems there must have been quite a leak somewhere, though she's not visibly dropping fluids anywhere, the outside of the rad shows signs of leakage.

have used radweld for now, which seems to be holding...but don't seem to be able to source an aftermarket rad, and not keen on the idea of a second hand one , given that these bikes are over 20 years old.

suggestions ?

Hi Cat, l would of thought a external water leak on the rad or hoses should be easy enough to find. Have you checked the rad overflow pipe to see if the stat is leaking? Also is the temperature gauge indicating that the engine running temperature is ok? from there l would check the engine oil to see if there's any contamination of water. It might be that the water pump or the a head gasket that is leaking. I'm personally not a big fan of rad weld or the likes, the oil and water galleries are so small on these engines that you could easily block up them making even more problems note, the water pump relies on the inhibitor in the coolant to lube the water pump. Fingers crossed it something simple like a tired leaking thermostat.

bob, I have someone looking into a recore for me, but not sure I can live without the bike long enough.

chris, there isn't an obvious leak..ie theres no puddle or drips, but the guys doing the work ( mates who definitely wouldn't mislead me) said its the rad itself .

it does run quite warm after a while, theres definitely no water in the oil, and I have nothing more to go on than the fact the exterior of the rad is in a state, and there definitely seems to be a leak from the rad, and lots of scaling ( if that makes any sense)

Ok, an interesting read here Cat that you might want your guy's to look into, there's some test at the bottom of the read that they might want to carry out. I always prefer prevention than cure. Hope your soon sorted.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/cooling_s ... rosion.htm