Mod 1help needed

I took a mock Mod 1 today and made a right mess of it. The bike is an SV650 or I could use a Bandit 600. Been riding the SV for a while and seem to get on with it. The parts I cannot do are the slalem and figure of 8 and the u turn. I fell off on the u turn but only hurt my pride. The rest of the Mod 1 was all fine. Any advice please. Think Ill go sink a cold beer now :cry:

stay calm!

Use a bit of clutch and keep the revs up then if you start to wobble you can just let the clutch out

Slalom I found easier to keep close in (dont hit the cones though!) and keep the movements small, for figure of 8 there's no width limit so go really wide, take plenty of room to do your turns. Keep looking where you want to go.

I dropped mine on u turn, on test...the only school bike without engine bars too. So embarrassing. I was looking down and/or panicking, so what I did, I picked a van in the distance behind the test area, and when I started to turn I just looked for it and focused, it kept my head up and focus on where I wanted to go. I didn't even know if I had been inside the lines until after the test as I'd been so busy concentrating on the van!!!

For the slalom: focus on a point a long way ahead of the slalom rather than where you are actually riding,

For the figure 8: look at the first cone until you are midway between the two, then immediately look at the other cone as you change direction. Keep your focus on the cones, changing focus at the half way point each time.

For the U turn: look as far over your shoulder as you can.

For all manouevres try not to be too tense. I couldn't pull a U turn on my first mod 1 because my shoulders were too tight. Another good tip is to consider exactly what you are about to do, take a deep breath and go. After my U turn on second test the examiner had to tell me it was ok to breathe again :)

I've been told on u turn to drop your inside shoulder too. Helped me on my cbt as I had time to practice some mod tests. He also said fir figure 8 there's no rule to how far out from cones to go tho obviously within reason.

I am still absolutely crap at U turns.

On my Mod 2, on a 600, I dropped it twice whilst practising. From then on I had a mental block on them. Even on my actual test I just scraped the white line, but only with front wheel, so got away with it.

Strangely I could do the slalom and 8 easily, even though it was tighter turns. Keep head up and look where you want to be - focus on those cones on the 8, as soon as you go past one, turn head and look for the next one, keep knees tight to tank, shoulders loose, don't tense up.

Ok guys I took on what you said and today completed three runs at slalom and figure of 8. Just got to keep it up and work on U turns now lol. Thx again :cheers:

Nice one. I struggled with the figure of 8 to start with. Really have to look where you are going to go rather than where you are going. Made a big difference for me. And don't try and to it too tightly, you can go pretty wide. You've done it now though so as you were :D

Keep the revs up, foot gently on back brake and keep the clutch on biting point. Going too slow and dropping the revs was the problem for me. Ride the clutch and rear brake and you'll be fine. If you start to slow down, just let the clutch out a little.

Ive always found that gripping the tank with your knees while performing tighter turns is better too!

Not sure why though

if you are gripping with your knees then you are riding the bike if your knees are out in the wind then you are just steering the bike you can test this by gently pressing one knee futher into tank and bike will naturally start to turn so press right knee bike will head to left and vise versa