Crossings - Making a 'life saver' before you leave

Guest mrk123

Just had the CBT... Needless to say I passed... Can't really fail that can you, though I bet a few have.

Anyway, got to ride out on the streets for a good 30 mins which was good fun, on a nippy 125.

The instructor made some good points, notably my small habit of riding just left of center of lane due to me having cycled on the roads for the last 10 years. Main thing he said for mod 1 and mod 2 was make sure I turn the indicator off (the minute second I turned in he was radioing through to turn off, I was needing a bit more time to just come out the corner.. But still all is well..

Just revising now for the bike theory - and on crossings, and it dawned on me that a sneaky mod 1 / mod 2 tester might try sneak me up on the many crossings.

Things like knowing how amber lights work with various crossings in various situations. And it dawned on me about 'life saver' or checking both left and right blind spots.

When leaving a crossing from a stationary position, is it essential to make any over shoulder checks at all? Or just proceed as you go.. ??

I really can't affords to put more money into this test!!

OK, well logically I would say there was no need, but I would like to know if it is essential or not?

I mean I don't want to do it and the examiner think this bozo is just trying to be obvious.

Say whaaaaa? No logical need for a life saver? Wrong!

Even if you're going straight ahead you should still get them in both sides. Cyclists are sneaky, silent buggers and creep up on you with Ninja like stealth. Then they wobble in front of you and generally all over the shop so I'd say yes, always with the shoulder checks.

As far as test conditions go, you can't make things too obvious. Personally, I'd rather over do the checks and look a bit of a nugget than fail for not making them stand out from normal head movements.

Depends on situation and where you are going, too many life savers and they could say you are not focusing on what is going on in front enough.

Its common sense really. If you have stopped at a junction for a long time or at traffic lights or you are going very slow on approach, if you are going straight forward, just both mirror checks before you set off. If you are turning right, mirror check, right life saver. If your are turning left, again mirror check and left life saver. no need to look over your right shoulder if you are turning left or over your left if you are turning right.

If you're coming up to a junction without having to stop for a long time or you have right of way, check mirrors on approach, if its clear and you are going straight on, again no need for a life saver. You only really need to do a left life saver here if you have recently gone past a cyclist and they aren't way behind in your mirror.. but if you are turning right you should always be doing a life saver as it could put you in the path of vehicles doing stupid overtakes.

But remember it is common sense and not a rule, kids running around near you, loads of cyclists, etc. do a life saver.

This is what I was told by my instructor and I passed my test first go :)

maccy why would you only use your mirrors if moving straight forward, what is in your mirrors is not in as much of an immediate danger (or danger to you) than what is in your blind spot. especially at crossings, life saver if you have stopped at a crossing.

one thing that i had to learn to do when taking my test was to make it obvious that i was using my mirrors, remember a slight movement so that you can see can not always be detected by the person testing you so make sure he knows your looking in your mirror.

Good luck!

On my CBT/lessons the instructor said at lights, crossings etc when you have been stationary you should check over both shoulders before moving off, if that's what you meant.

maccy why would you only use your mirrors if moving straight forward, what is in your mirrors is not in as much of an immediate danger (or danger to you) than what is in your blind spot. especially at crossings, life saver if you have stopped at a crossing.

one thing that i had to learn to do when taking my test was to make it obvious that i was using my mirrors, remember a slight movement so that you can see can not always be detected by the person testing you so make sure he knows your looking in your mirror.

Good luck!

Its depends on the situation thats why you need the common sense. All I would say is its a bit of an urban myth that you need to be constantly checking your shoulders to pass your test. Comes from the idea that well they cant fail me for it, so ill do it anyway. but its not what they are looking for and it could distract you from what you should be doing. Check when you should be checking.

If you're at the front by some traffic lights, you are going straight forward what is the immediate danger to your left or right that you wont have seen approaching in your mirrors. Providing that on your bike test you are expected to make good progress from the lights and have good road position anyway.

I suppose if you are at the front of the cue, and you are first to head off, danger or hazzard could come from people rushing last minute across the road on the red man.

Or a look to your left might reveal a drunk cyclist going to his next pub who is about half a meter from swerving into you.

Just use common sense and do what feels natural and safe.

My instructor on the CBT said not to bother watching any videos online - such as:

">

and not to listen to anyone on forums cause it will only complicate things, there's truth in that, but I am getting a good understanding as much as i will on the lessons in preparation for mod 1 and mod 2.

I think the key is not to take ANYTHING you read as fact and blend it in with the other first hand information you acquire.

Job done..

Right time to revise for this theory.

P.S did you know that a motorbike trailer can not be more than 1 meter wide (3 feet) or (39.3701 inches) :booty:

My instructor on the CBT said not to bother watching any videos online - such as:

">

and not to listen to anyone on forums cause it will only complicate things, there's truth in that, but I am getting a good understanding as much as i will on the lessons in preparation for mod 1 and mod 2.

Agree 100% on that really, might just be a case of examiners in some areas are overly strict. An instructor in your area might say a lot of people have failed for not checking both shoulders before moving, while I was told by an instructor that I didnt need to without reason and still passed.

I like to check my mirrors fairly regularly so i know what/who is coming up behind me. I don't like to be startled by some yob in a pimped out vauxhall nova as he overtakes me at 3 times the speed of sound.

As per life savers. changing lanes? life saver. setting off? life saver. at traffic lights? life savers. any situation where someone or something might sneak into that area where you're putting yourself - check that area. also, life saver before leaving roundabouts (over left shoulder) and moving out for parked cars. when changing speeds (slowing down), use your mirrors to check it's safe to do so. Always be mindful of what's behind you.

for mod1, treat the park as you would a road (the examiner will probably remind you to do this). That means life savers over BOTH shoulders.

Good luck and have fun learning to ride!

Just had the CBT... Needless to say I passed... Can't really fail that can you, though I bet a few have.

Anyway, got to ride out on the streets for a good 30 mins which was good fun, on a nippy 125.

Firstly, CBT is compulsory basic training. It's not a test so it's impossible to "fail" as such, although teh trainer shoudl refuse to issue a completion certificate unless you reach the required standard to complete the training. The DSA didn't want CBT trainers to appear to be "examiners" so they fudged it!

That said, the trainers have certainly failed in their statutory obligation in that they should ensure you have a minimum of 2 hours on-road tuition. 30 minutes is inadequate.

Secondly, lifesavers (or shoulder checks) are necessary whenever you feel that you might come under "threat" or be a "threat" from overtaking or undertaking traffic, be it vehicle, bicycle, horse or skateboarding teenie. So to address your question, moving away from a crossing I would certainly want to know what's behind me and if it's trying to pass me.

Good luck!

Its depends on the situation thats why you need the common sense. All I would say is its a bit of an urban myth that you need to be constantly checking your shoulders to pass your test. Comes from the idea that well they cant fail me for it, so ill do it anyway. but its not what they are looking for and it could distract you from what you should be doing. Check when you should be checking.

If you're at the front by some traffic lights, you are going straight forward what is the immediate danger to your left or right that you wont have seen approaching in your mirrors. Providing that on your bike test you are expected to make good progress from the lights and have good road position anyway.

you never had someone running to beat the traffic on a crossing? i have and it was only cos i did my lifesaver to the left that i saw them nearly run into me lol and i also had a mark against me for not checking my mirrors during my test, cos i didnt make it evident that i was doing so so yeah make it obvious. cos i did fail that test and that went towards his decision, mainly failed though for not proving i could make it to 70mph on dual carriage way. regardless that the conditions were not good enough to be safe at that speed and even now in them conditions i wouldnt be at that speed.

you never had someone running to beat the traffic on a crossing? i have and it was only cos i did my lifesaver to the left that i saw them nearly run into me lol and i also had a mark against me for not checking my mirrors during my test, cos i didnt make it evident that i was doing so so yeah make it obvious. cos i did fail that test and that went towards his decision, mainly failed though for not proving i could make it to 70mph on dual carriage way. regardless that the conditions were not good enough to be safe at that speed and even now in them conditions i wouldnt be at that speed.

sorry Im not with you :lol:

By running to beat traffic on a crossing, do you mean people coming from the sides last second, because I would try and make eye contact with people on the junction to make sure they have seen me and stopped. But thats not really what I would call a life saver so I didnt mention that. This may need a badly drawn paint diagram.

sorry Im not with you :lol:

By running to beat traffic on a crossing, do you mean people coming from the sides last second, because I would try and make eye contact with people on the junction to make sure they have seen me and stopped. But thats not really what I would call a life saver so I didnt mention that. This may need a badly drawn paint diagram.

I'm exceptionally bad at drawing stuff... :angel12: Soo... Maybe a situation like this?

lifesaver-or-not.jpg.cc4c6446293808ce9736cde99da2fa39.jpg

Transcript:

Waiting at a crossing for people to, erm, cross... (with or without traffic lights doens't matter). A nob darts across the road from behind you, at an angle where he's in your blind spot. Those folks usually don't follow the markings..

Maybe because it just switched to red for him, but he thinks he can make it before it's going green for you. Maybe because you gave way for another pedestrian and the nob thinks he can make it across, too, before you set off.

Or, if it's London, then just because. Two-legged hazards everywhere! :shock:

yes Lucifa thank you for your expertly drawn diagram. that is exactly what has happened to me and it was only my lifesaver that meant i could avoid collision.

for the Mod 2 before setting off, every single time I'd check both shoulders. Why? I have no idea, it stopped literally once i got my certificate and i was on the way home. But for test purposes, do them and make sure you get your certificate :)