Should i buy this? With Poll!

Dan

<t>Should i or shouldn't i?</t>  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should i or shouldn't i?

• Yes. Throw caution to the wind and buy the shiny thing.
    • No. I pity the fool who buys this bike.

Good people of the forum,

Impartial non-bias advice required. I'm thinking of getting the below:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/yamaha-ybr-125cc-in-west-london/1055801320

It's a 2006 Yammy YBR with 22k miles on the clock for £800

I need it for commuting and practicing for my DAS im not looking for a deep meaningful long term relationship but i don't want it to pack up on me either.

I took the advice in my other thread about mileage and it does look fairly well maintained. But i'm an amatuer. What i'd like some advice on is whether you got any alarm bells from the ad and whether it's a reasonable price. Also when i see it, what are they key things for me to check/test with a bike of that age/mileage.

I know she must have seen a bit of action but at less than half my original budget. I'd use the cash leftover for my DAS.

Also what the hell is a handlebar weight?

All advice appreciated.

Go and look at it. Take someone who knows bikes well with you. Scratches on tank sound like its been dropped so worth checking for any dodgy ness.

Also handlebars weights i believe (could be wrong) sit on the end to reduce vibrations. Aswell as if you drop them it scratches those instead of your bike.

Doesn't look too bad, definitely worthy of closer investigation. Interesting that the scratches are on the right of the tank but he's replaced the left foot rest? They're not obviously tank bag scratches, possibly a semi-trained gorilla has been used to fill it up?

The rear left shock looks in far better nick than the rear right one to me from those pics

All little bits like that where they are obviously different on opposite sides could suggest replacement down one side

Chain doesn't look too bad but the adjuster bolts look rusty in the picture you can see them so would check chain tension and condition. Might have been cleaned but left to drag on the floor.

West London I'd say ask Fozz to come have a look with you but definitely say worth a closer look

I know she must have seen a bit of action but at less than half my original budget. I'd use the cash leftover for my DAS.

you only need it short term, so if you go and look at it, and no alarm bells ring, then i would take the gamble.

you are not maxing out your affordability, so you have the same cash again to fix any problems, or even buy a whole second bike!

but if it does last, then youve saved 50% of your cash and can sell for the same money you paid...

Go take a look at it :)

8 year old 125. Probably most if not all of those 22k miles are learner miles. When you think of it that way a few scratches to the tank and a small dent is not much at all. I'd guess that dent is not a drop either, more likely something has been dropped on to the tank.

Just don't forget to HPI check it, if that's clear go to view it (with someone who knows bikes), kick the tyre a bit, mumble and make a low offer in cash. Get it low enough you may even make a few quid when punting it on after DAS.

Cheers for the advice, decided it's worth a look so im going to see it after work.

Hope it's fine, been looking for two months and im bored of dealing with small time bike dealers on the fringes of London and their hilariously inflated prices and shoddy stock. £1.5k for a 2008 17k miles cat C write off anyone? anyone? No thought not. :roll:

i just can't bring myself to spend more on what is essentially a practice bike. if i can get at least two years troublefree riding from something that costs £800 i'll be well chuffed.

Check the chain and sprockets Anyone who claims to have a well maintained bike will have a nice oiled chain correctly tensioned.

Quiz him on servicing. If he says he dose it his self ask what spec oil he uses. If he stumbles tgen hes probaly lieing.

First thing to do when you get there is check the exsaust. If its warm either walk away or offer him half.

Take a mate, pull the bike over on the stand spin and wobble the tyre. If its wobbly the bearings are shot. Same for the rear.

Check the forks for oil leaks

Push the seat down to check rear shocks. You will know if there shot by the way it bounces.

Check water in the rad if it has one.

I would say if you are planning to go on to DAS do you really need a 125?

Miles on a tiddler help (I put over 12k on mine) but I did my DAS with a guy that never sat on a bike before and all he needed was 1 extra day compared to me (I did 3 day he did 4 and that extra day was his cbt). If your original budget was £1600+ that is enough to do a DAS course and buy a cheapish 500 twin (GPZ500/ER5/GS500/etc).

Def worth a look. Got a very similar ybr not long back. Same age and milage. Been very pleased with it. Has had a chain and sproket, fork seals and clutch is a little worn so check those. Put over 1000 miles on it now. Also practicing for my direct access so had the same decision to make.