Please help me make a final decision on my first bike

Colinzor

<t>Which Bike?</t>  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bike?

• Hyosung GT 125 R
    • Honda CBR 125 R

Hi guys, so as some of you may have read things have changed for me a bit and im now able to (barely lol) afford my first 125 bike :)

So i have narrowed it down to 2 bikes which i like and are in my price range and available in Northern Ireland as there isnt a huge choice. Now im going to be riding this bike for atleast a year if not more so i need to find something im completley happy with. Some things to keep in mind are im 5 ft 10 " and around 13 stone if that makes any difference.

Hyosung GT 125 R -

I just love the look of this bike, the size of a 600 with the engine of a 125 roughly, looks the part and i found a real nice one in red which im interested in, now i know the mechanics and reliability of this korean bike manufacturer arent always great which is putting me off buying it as i dont want it to break down but im just in love with the look of it.

Honda CBR 125 R -

Whats attracting me to it is the fact that its jap, its more available than the Hyosung GT 125 R and the engine is more reliable and the build quality is generally better im lead to believe, but i dont really like the look of the bike ? its kind of putting me off after seeing the hyosung and i do care about looks but its not everything !

PLEASE HELP lol

Ill agree the Hyosung looks better than a CBR, although the newer ones are much nicer.

However if it was me i would save up and get an R125 ;) out of the two you listed the CBR gets my vote. :)

Honda. Not so much on reliability Hyosung are Korean and not terrible but because Hyosungs official UK importer threw in the towel a few months back. While spare parts are still imported I'd wonder how long for or how well priced they will remain.

All those 4t sports wannabes are all show and no go though. You are paying for looks they can't back up with performance but will get cursed with higher insurance and higher likelihood of theft than other 125's. If you want a sporty 125 why not get a Honda NSR125? 2T so has a bit more go to it than a 4T but not as fragile as an Aprillia RS125 so needs less frequent rebuilds.

Who cares what it looks like. Its a learner bike so its never going to look awesome. Use it and abuse it. Throw it down the road and use it to acquire the skills you need to look after an awesome looking bike.

Reliability and resale value are the two biggest factors.

Honda because if your only keeping it for a year and providing you keep it in good nick, you will probably be able to sell it for more or less what you paid.

Also its more reliable, easier to get parts etc etc.

haha its those damn looks on the CBR.

As CG mentioned above the newer ones look much nicer, as they a lot different ?

only ones i can see online and the selection for bikes in NI is pants are 2005 models.

Can I just throw a curveball in here?

Honda Varadero 125.

Much less sporty looking than either of the two you've mentioned, but if you like the fact that the Hyosung has the size of a 600 then the Varadero falls into the same boat, it may have a little engine but it's built like a big bike, so it's nice and comfortable to ride especially when compared to something small and cramped like the CBR125. It's a much more upright riding position than your two choices as well but for a first bike I'd say that's a good thing, because of it's size and riding position you have great visibility and feels really nice as a learner. Plus you've got the Honda build quality and reliability, and even with my 6'3" frame on it I could still hit 70mph without a problem.