I have not posted on the forum for awhile not since my older brother Dave (Lonely Old Dave) or better know on the forum as "The Grand Master of Old Gits" past away in August 2012.

He loved his motorbikes ever since he past his test in April 1961 having BSA's Triumph's, Norton's back in the 1960's then Honda's ect his last bike was a Kawasaki W800.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/loneleybob/scan0011_zpsd6728546.jpg

I had a phone call last week from a widow who lost her partner 3 years ago asking if I would be interested in her late husbands Honda XBR500.

I asked how she knew that I was looking for one & she replied that she phoned the local bike shop

offering it to them but due to its age & condition they would pass, but told her that they knew an old bloke that wanted one to restore.

I arranged to view it the next evening I made an offer but had to up it to £600 as she thought £500 was a little low.

I had to explain that I was buying a non runner with a flat rear tyre with 50,000 miles on the clock.

Normally I would walk away, but she was still grieving her late hubby and would miss not seeing his bike in the shed in the same spot the last time he rode it 3 years ago.

I will be collecting it next week.

She did mention that it had an oil leak but did not know from where.

There was no oil on the shed floor.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/loneleybob/SAM_0068_zps90480ee3.jpg

Any help or advice on what to look out for when I start the rebuild.

parts are fairly hard to get hold of in good condition but if i remember correctly the bike itself should be fine just check condition of head where camshaft runs as some wrecked the heads,looking at pic it dont seem a bad deal time will tell when you fire it up

Thanks for the quick reply its all there the side panels are on the window ledge I think someone had charged the battery as all the electrics are working ok.

I did not risk pushing the starting button but I did kick it over very slowly.

No sign of any rust on the frame.

Just a quick update on the 1988 XBR500 I went down at 6pm with the balance

of cash I also took my small compressor as the rear tyre was flat.

I also thought maybe I should try and see if she will run so I also took a gallon of fuel.

A few gentle kicks with the ignition off to get the oil moving then I went for it.

First three kicks naff all then the forth kick a little splutter then on the 5th she jump in to

life.

So I drove back home to get the wife so as she could give me a life back with my helmet.

By 8pm the bike was in my work shop I removed the battery & it is now on charge.

It was only a mile to Lonely HQ but it was good to be on board a single again she sounded

nice.

I'm looking forward to sorting her out & I feel that it was fate that I received the phone call just over a week ago.