CBF 125 changing lights to LED

Gray

I am thinking of having a play with my CBF 125 with changing the lighting from AC to DC and replacing some of the bulbs for LED's.

Anyone done the same on their bike? I have seen some vids on youtube and quite like the effect though am concerned that they could be a bit too bright. Don't want to be dazzling other road users!

I am more than competent with the wiring and electrical side etc but wondered if I would need to inform the insurance company if it is classed as a modification?

thanks

Graham

If your talking headlights then chances are its illegal and you will dazzle other road users

Its ok been able to see and to be seen but blinding other road users is asking for trouble

I'm thinking of adding something like these with their own on/off switch so they are only on at night. I'm assuming from a legal view they will be roadworthy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-LED-Mirror-Mount-LED-Daytime-Running-Fog-Lights-Fits-Honda-CBF1000-CBF125-/390685794473

Omitted in my original post that it wasn't the headlight! I've read about the Xenon bulbs and the problems they can create.

I'm thinking of adding something like these with their own on/off switch so they are only on at night. I'm assuming from a legal view they will be roadworthy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-LED-Mirror-Mount-LED-Daytime-Running-Fog-Lights-Fits-Honda-CBF1000-CBF125-/390685794473

Omitted in my original post that it wasn't the headlight! I've read about the Xenon bulbs and the problems they can create.

Nothing wrong with adding those.. its a very common mod on some german bikes who's designation its never wise to mention. just have some courtesy to other road users and be sure they're pointing downwards slightly.. i.e. use them to 'fill out' the dip.

either wire them so they come on with the 'dip' or have them wired separate to the headlamp and switched. I have similar items on my bike.. and use them more for extra daytime 'road presence' than anything else. the amount of power they draw is negligible. by far the biggest 'plus' in my view is if the worst happened and my headlamp went pop at night.. i can still ride the bike home legally. This is obviously more important when I'm touring in Europe.

I didn't bother telling the insurance.

• 1 year later...
I am thinking of having a play with my CBF 125 with changing the lighting from AC to DC and replacing some of the bulbs for LED's.

Anyone done the same on their bike?

Didn't install LEDs, Gray, but I did fit an H4 HID headlight which has made the bike safe to ride after nightfall. The beam pattern is compliant with MOT requirements, so no problem there. I also installed a switch which allows for the turning off of the headlight as and when required.