Honda CB500F - first 250 miles

DaveLX

Make - Honda

Model - CB500FA-D

Year - 2013 Model

Delivered - 3rd May 2014

Delivery Mileage- 3

Current Mileage - 255

I passed my A licence test on April 15th. Whilst I now have a full, unrestricted licence, I felt the XJ6 I learned on was too much power for me (personal preference) and I found it quite uncomfortable too.

The training school had some CB500F's which they use for A2 training. I like the look and simplicity of the bike, so had a ride on one of the training bikes, then placed my order via e-mail with Ian at Doble's Honda, Coulsdon. Chiswick Honda is much closer to me, but as they didn't bother following up on my sales enquiry, the sale went to Doble's again. I'd bought a Honda Vision 110 from them last year, so I was now a repeat customer.

The list price is now £4999, but I got the bike for £4499, with Givi rack and Oxford heated grips fitted, along with a Honda hugger.

The nice Doble's delivery bloke arrived at 10am on the 3rd May. She looked great, glistening in the sun!

I mostly commute to work on the bike, but I've started riding the more scenic (longer) route, to put more miles on the bike and enjoy the ride more.

Comfort - the CB is far more comfortable for me than the XJ6. The geometry just suits me better, particularly the pegs, where I felt cramped on the XJ, the Honda pegs are perfectly placed for me. I'm 5ft 10in tall, by the way. The seat seems well padded, so I'm looking forward to testing it on longer rides. The bars are wide and the upright position works well for me. Wind resistance has been reduced since fitting a Givi screen. Ear plugs would be needed for a longer journey.

Performance - I haven't been thrashing the bike, as the engine is brand new, so I've been trying to ride gently, interspersed with bouts of wide open throttle! The bike accelerates crisply and reasonably briskly, for a parallel twin. It's not the fastest machine around, but 0-60mph still comes up in 5 seconds, and the bike pulls smartly up to 80mph, with a documented top speed of 110mph. 6th gear could be a bit taller, around 70mph I find myself trying to change into a non-existent 7th gear. Around town, the bike is a great performer with no issues encountered. It's very forgiving too - if you find yourself in too high a gear coming out of a corner, give it some throttle and the bike will chug itself out of danger for you.

Brakes - single discs front and rear, with ABS. Not the C-ABS system though. If you want back brake, you need to use the brake pedal. They're quite progressive with decent feel and rapid speed retardation. They stop the bike, with no drama.

Equipment - there's not much, but it's all functional. Two trip meters, fuel consumption, speedo, rev counter, warning lights. It's all digital and works well.

Economy - the onboard fuel computer was showing me just 32 mpg from new, but is now at 48mpg and improving daily. It's not up to the 70's yet, but part of that is my fault - my commute is a short journey.

Conclusion - the CB500F is a great first 'big bike', even though it's an A2 machine. It's very forgiving and a great confidence builder. I think I'll probably change it after two years; I really fancy a Harley-Davidson Iron 883, but that's for the future, I'm enjoying my ride for now.

These bikes arent just for new riders.

I have been riding for 10 years and traded in my FZ1S Fazer for the CB500X a year ago next week.

I mainly use my bike for commuting and wasn't using the Fazer to anything near its full potential.

The CB500X ticks all the boxes for me, I have done 4000 miles and in that time I have averaged 73mpg mainly city commuting. When I do go out with the Mrs as pillion it still handles really well and cruises easily at 70mph at 5,000RPM

I have fitted top box and panniers and I believe it is a truely great alround bike.

For £5400 brand new you can't go far wrong. Yes it needed a valve check on the first 600 mile service but just haggle with the dealer and get it included. After this they only need checking every 16,000 miles. The 2014 models don't need the valves checking at 600 mile service.