enquiry about buying from the states

iv seen some bits and pieces for sale on the web that im interesred in and the ad states the price and the postage rates which is fair does but i was wondering is there any hidden extra costs on top of that for customs or anything that i have to pay for If anyone has dealt with this in the past and bought like this i would be grateful for any info

many thanks keep up the work TMBF

I have bought from USA and not got hit with charges, it depends which country customs is picking on at the moment, they go in phases, they were hitting anything from China a while back. Pot luck to be honest, just factor in that you might get charged duty on the import, and buy accordingly. Reckon it's about 50/50 whether you get charged or not.

Very much hit and miss, l got my cans from the States l was expecting to pay duty and they came straight through :shock: But yes factor in and assume that there could be import duties to pay.

Reckon it's about 50/50 whether you get charged or not.

I dunno, I think your more likely to get through without paying. I've probably ordered 5 or 6 things from outside the EU in the past year, only paid duty on one of them.

It does help that a lot of stuff from China seems to be brought in marked as "gifts" though ;)

Reckon it's about 50/50 whether you get charged or not.

I dunno, I think your more likely to get through without paying. I've probably ordered 5 or 6 things from outside the EU in the past year, only paid duty on one of them.

It does help that a lot of stuff from China seems to be brought in marked as "gifts" though ;)

See if the buyer will mark as a gift, or if its one of each you can try marking as samples. Technically its fraud but if its an odd thing (i.e. not running a business on it) then customs won't usually bat an eyelid

Budget up to 30% extra if you do get hit though, 20% VAT plus Duty. Depends on the products. Oh and the delivery company will usually charge you for the privilege too as they will have had to pay customs in advance just to get your parcel off them.

• 1 month later...

Can be very hit and miss. I've imported stuff from GoPro twice that was shipped by FedEx.

First time I didn't get charged any duty (although it's generally 10%-20% depending on what type of equipment it is).

On top of zero duty I got charged VAT and £10 advancement fee (courier charge for customs clearance)

Result of this was $598 order and bill for £83.60 to pay FedEx. Not too bad and saved about £50 over U.K. retail prices not that everything was available in the U.K. at the time.

Second time they must have seen me coming. Similar equipment, 10% duty this time then 20% VAT plus £10 advancement fee. That hurt ever so slightly as I pretty much paid in total normal U.K. retail shop price for that order :(

I believe there's a threshold as well for things to be marked as gifts before raising suspicions. Cheap crap from China nearly always is marked as gift with no extra charges.

If you're prepared for the potential charges and it's something unavailable to buy over here though, go for it :)