diy ground anchor.

cockercas

Few bikes been nicked localy.

I think ground anchors are abit of a waste of money.

So i was going to get abit of box section and do my own.

Turns out my chain fits nicely in a scaffold tube.

So diy ground anchor.

Cut 3in of a scaffold tube.

Drill a couple of holes right through both sides.

Engarge one side to fit a bolt thread. I used 2 m6s. So 6mm.

Make the other side hole big enough to fit the bolt head through.

Drill holes in concreet. Place scaffold tube over holes and wind bolts finger tight.

Now if you lift the bit of tube up you can get a short socket on and a extension bar through the big hole. Tighten it up.

Job done.

Sounds good in theory, but you wont get the savings on your insurance that a branded ground anchor will give you. Plus scaffold tubing is quite easily cut with a grinder, and the preferred method of dealing with chains and ground anchors these days is too freeze them with a little canister of nitrogen, then shatter with a tap from a lump hammer, a 10 sec job. A lot of ground anchors and chains are made to be shatter resistant to combat this, as well as the ground anchors being very difficult to cut and having bits your hammer into the bolt holes which are (nearly) impossible to remove so they cannot be simply unbolted.

Your method may deter an opportunist, but it sounds like you have an organised gang in the area, so I'd go all out.

Also check the small print on your insurance, we had a couple of quads nicked out of the garage about 4 years ago, and they never paid out because they were not chained down, something they never told us, I suspect a lot of bike policies may be the same.

Good luck with the project though if you go ahead with it, hope it all works out for you :-)

Personally, i have 3 ground anchors, with 7 bags of post mix, and then the anchor's them selfs are buried under soil quite far.

But i might do your idea for my second bike if i end up getting it!

Although if some-one want's something they will get it no matter what.

Nobodys going to cut through the tube or a ground anchor. A 1mm cutting disk makes short work of anything. Thats why imo ground anchors are a waste of money.

There just going to bolt crop the chain.

Purely there just to stop someone wheeling it out, and i saved £20

I dont have any security declared on insurance. It didnt make a squats worth of diffrence.

I have the best protection anyway. 2 dogs that dont like strangers.

Need to attach a pressurised container of pigs blood inside, so as they cut through with a grinder it explodes and covers them in blood!! And a little note to say "congratulations, you now have AIDS"...

That should scare the sh1t out of them and send them running to the showers..

To be fair anyone spent long enough to get into my garage to start cutting the chain etc then aids would be least of there worrys.

Gravel drive at the rear of my house. If anyone steps foot into it my dog will bark.

Gated at the front. If the chain rattles or the dead boltis slid back he barks . Noone can move without him noticing.

Only way to climb into my garden means jumping into a locked angry dogs kennel.

Not really worth it for a 10year old honda.

To be fair anyone spent long enough to get into my garage to start cutting the chain etc then aids would be least of there worrys.

Gravel drive at the rear of my house. If anyone steps foot into it my dog will bark.

Gated at the front. If the chain rattles or the dead boltis slid back he barks . Noone can move without him noticing.

Only way to climb into my garden means jumping into a locked angry dogs kennel.

Not really worth it for a 10year old honda.

Lol, sounds like the dogs will have ate a burglar long before he makes it too the garage.