im i legal to ride a bike,

Guest sut

hi

my son has just moved up to a 125 and my wife already rides a 125 and they have asked if i would get a bike and we could go out on weekend rides.

i am attempting to find out if i am able to ride on my current driving licence as i know some people are able and others have to take a cbt and things,

i took my driving test in july 1997 and i have on my licence that i am able to drive category's A, BE, GH, would any of these allow me to ride now or would i have to take a cbt or something else to ride?

thanks for the help.

I tried to answer.. but I'm confused by the categories on your license.

Category A is motorcycle entitlement. but.. where is B (for cars?) you say you took your driving test in 1997. was this on a Bike or a Car?

Category A

You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg

motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500kg.

G Road roller

H Tracked vehicles

Are they the only codes on there as they don't seem right ?

H code seems to be pre 97

A used to be car when bikes used to be D.

Any full car license will give you provisional motorcycle but from the codes you mention and the time you got the licence it doesn't sound like you have car entitlement either !!

If you have your driving license number and National Insurance number you can check your license here

and check out the codes here

i took my driving test in july 1997 and i have on my licence that i am able to drive category's A, BE, GH, would any of these allow me to ride now or would i have to take a cbt or something else to ride?

thanks for the help.

Are you reading these off the paper counterpart, or the photo licence card itself?

If the former, they are the provisional categories. The provisional A entitlement needs to be validated by obtaining a valid CBT certificate.

There are NO shortcuts to riding a motorcycle. There IS a potential shortcut for moped only depending on when you passed your car test.