Slipping the Clutch

Guest dangermousegt4

I ride a 125 and am looking to take my test soon.

When I ride I tend to pull the clutch in when I want to slow down: Clutch In, Front Brake then maybe back brake if I want to slow down a lot then clutch out to speed up again (Repeat). Will this get me in trouble in my test as coasting? Should I be using the engine braking instead?(My 125cc doesn't really like that)

Also Life Savers:

Right at roundabout Left life saver on exit (as your cross the left lane to exit)?

Straight on Right life saver on exit(To check for something trying to come up the outside)?

When turning right, from position 2, mirror check(Do I need a Life Saver here?), indicate right, take up position, Shift down, slow control back brake and clutch, Life Saver, Turn? Watch out for swan necking), cancel indicator and make progress.

Would think this has been asked before but I tried to search the forum but cant find a search box for the life of me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chris

Also Life Savers:

Chris

Coasting is a definite NO.

Lifesaver to the left for any exit. You're looking for a threat, those on the right are not a threat when you exit, but the "undertakers" are. So left.

• 1 month later...

Yake some lessons and get some tuition they will advise you properly but essentially yes coasting is a no no, slow down with your brakes change down gears as you go and clutch in for gear changes and stopping only. Lifesavers at any change of direction whether it be entering or leaving a roundabout or turning into a side road

Few months ago I started riding and did the same thing.. avoided engine breaking and just pulled the clutch in and down shifted, although got me in all sorts of problems when I was in the wrong gear and traffic started moving again, wasn't pleasant.

Got bored one day and decided to use count-steering and engine breaking to improve my riding, now I've discovered engine breaking I really don't think there is any other way to slow down.. of course there's the odd occasion where I miss 2nd gear going up.. or miss match the revs going down.. it happens to all of us.

As for roundabouts.. indicate to leave the roundabout after the exit before the one you want to take.. taking the 2nd exit indicate after passing the 1st exit.. life saver if switching lanes and also to watch any traffic from the entry to the roundabout just before your exit.

Really to understand where mirror checks or lifesavers are appropriate you need to do some learning, lessons is one way but if you want to go it alone then use the "Module 2 riders test experiences" in the CBT section also watch people like "RoadCraftNottingham" on youtube and watch riders undergoing actual Module 2 training.

Thanks guys, so always brakes,shift,brakes,shift up to a stop. Bet when your braking. Do you reduce the throttle slightly ? Can you reduce? Always when im braking. Im reducing the throttle aswell. Is that good? Sometimes I feel in London when driving, I use more braking then driving...

Try riding without touching the brakes (obviously in a safe place) and using the engine and gearbox to slow you down.......ideally your riding should be smooth enough that you don't need to use the brakes. I know that this is a bit Utopian when riding in heavy traffic......but it teaches you about leaving space around you and also anticipation.....both of which are skills you need to develop...... :wink: But coasting with the clutch in are major faults........best to get out of that habit as soon as possible...... :wink:

So theres 2 ways to Slow down.

1. Engine breaking.

2. Using brakes.

Witch one? ;/

Both!! especially when you are taking your test.......otherwise it's down to the situation.......engine braking for gradual deceleration......brakes when more stopping power is required......but still using the engine braking...... :wink: Clutch in only when changing gear or coming to a complete stop from the lower gears...... 8-)

This is exactly why I'm keeping my 125 for however long it takes to practice stuff like this. My right foot has had it. I only use the rear brake when completely stopped or on a hill. But this engine braking I really need to practice too. It's about judging distance to where you want to stop too. I have been practicing it for the past 2 or 3 weeks. And trying to train my foot on the rear brake. Doesn't help when there's no feeling in heal and toes. We will get there we all will.