restrictor removal cost

Edd

I've had a quick search and can't find any related topics..

Does anyone know how much I should be looking to pay to have the restrictor removed on my 98 GSX600F? I've phoned a couple of places, but they're all being a bit vague!

Thanks.

its a 20 minute job. My local garage charges £60 an hour I believe and only charges by the hour, therefor they would charge £60. It depends on the garage though, Im sure some would charge you £20

But, to be honest, you might as well do it yourself because all you do is remove your fairings, remove the tank, undo a couple of bolts and remove some washers.

Well, thats if they are washers. Mine had its diaphragms changed to restrict it. I think thats the official FI (or whatever the comapny is called) way.

Either way, look into it a bit and do it yourself. I did mine myself (largely because it was illegal to do at the time and I didn't want the garage asking to see my license) but its the first time I've ever opened up a bike and its thoroughly satisfying

It'll be 4 little metal discs between the carbs and the inlet manifolds. Just do it yourself, easy job, carbs off, remove restrictors, carbs back on and happy days. Spend the money saved on petrol enjoying your new found power.

Lol, thanks for the replies.. I'm going to go for it and have a go myself tomorrow (unless it's p*ssing it down!). One more quick question, will I have to drain the fuel tank?..or will turning the fuel tap off do the job?

OK, removed the plates and put everything back together..but now it idles at 2200rpm and the revs are very slow to drop after blipping the throttle...have I messed up somewhere!?

OK thanks.. It's just getting worse! (not through following your advice!)..this morning I removed everything again to make sure that everything was sealed up properly and now it just revs up after starting, I have to kill the engine because it won't stop!.. I think I'm going to have to get it trailered somewhere because it's getting way beyond my skills now!

Thanks for your help though everyone.

while the tank is off the bike check that the throttle cables are located in their holders correctly as you might of pulled the open one out of place and its caught on top edge of its locater,when you look atthe cables where they connect to the carbs the end of the cable outer is normally silver and you can only just see it if you can see the whole bit then you have got to replace it into its adjuster correctly

I wouldnt put it in a garage just yet

you have simply done something wrong for the revs to be sky high

as EAB says check throttle cables and stuff

retrace your steps take your time and even take photos if you have to

OK thank you both, I'll get the tank and airbox off again and make sure nothings out of place (I may take a few pics if you guys wouldn't mind having a look?!)..I'm just flapping a bit as I'm new to bikes and everything that I've tried so far seems to be making it worse! The only thing that I have noticed so far is a pipe that come out of the bottom of the airbox is kinked..but it looks to be bunged off at the other end anyway?

I'm an idiot...

Today I got good ol' dad round to have a look and within 10 seconds he spotted that one of the screws on the inlet clamps was pressing against the throttle lever and therefore stopping it returning completely...[emoji9]

Thank-you all for your inputs and saving me greater costs/embarrassment by getting it checked by a garage!

So, to conclude..

Thankyou and I'm a tw*t!

Haha cheers! I'm looking forward to the commute tomorrow morning to try out some of this extra power!...what's the betting it's either going to be frosty or wet!