Mod 2 - Speed

will the examiner always try and take you on a national speed limit road on your mod 2 test?

My riding is great at 20mph, 30mph and 40mph, but i have a real psychologically issue with getting to 55mph plus (especially when full of nerves). I know if i pass mod 2, in my own time I'll get there, but i worry how big a problem that will be on my test.

I know the advise will be "stop being a pussy and enjoy" but just wondered if they always do and if they do and you don't hit 60mph is that a fail or if you hit 50mph could you pass if the rest of your ride has been good with few faults?

Stop being a pussy :)

Nah just kidding mate.. I'm exactly the same.. I've only just passed CBT and when I ride on national speed limit roads I get very nervous as that dial start to go past 50..

I guess my problem is I know I haven't got the right clothing on (jeans and a fleece jacket), if I come off at that speed it's gonna REALLY hurt. .

But I guess it would at 30 too to be honest. .. I know I desperately need the right gear but I'm skint :(

Anyway that's probably not much help to you but I guess the only thing I can say is I would be pretty dam sure he will take you on 60 roads and I'm sure you can fail for doing 50 (I did my car test for doing 30 in a 40)

So I guess we are both gonna have to man up :) im sure we'll get used to it and it'll start to feel slow. .

You have to ride to the conditions, my test was in the middle of winter so greasy slippery roads so riding at 60 wouod have been silly. There will be an element of national speed roads and prob dual carriagways, the main thing they are looking for is road positioning for corners and corner speed, are you maintaining speed round the bend or increasing or are you slowing if your slowing then thats a bad mark.

On my test there is a dual carriageway just outside the centre and we took it. I got the bike up to 50 on it and we turned off at the second junction. When we got back to the centre he asked if I had done much out of town riding and he said it showed and then told me to ride it like you stole it! and gave me my pass ticket. :lol:

If you are doing it with a school then they will have gear you can borrow for the time you are doing your training and test.

You will need to show the examiner that you can safely ride the bike on NSL roads so yes he/she will take you onto a dual carriage way ( dual carriageways have a speed limit of up to 70 mph) and he/ she will expect you to ride at those speeds if safe to do so. The examiner will give consideration as to the bike as well. If you do the test on a 125 he/she will be aware that a lot of 125's will struggle to hit 60, let alone do 70.

Note if safe to do so, that will depend on a variety of factors such as traffic, condition of the road, weather etc.

As to being skint and not able to afford the gear look on eBay et al,as quite often there is second had gear available.

My test included a 70 mph dual carriageway, which I think was used for all tests there. I overtook a couple of vehicles that were doing 60 too, rather than sitting behind them knowing we'd turn off after 1 or 2 junctions.

As to being skint and not able to afford the gear look on eBay et al,as quite often there is second had gear available.

I keep looking but wouldn't be sure about sizes etc as I'd probably want about 20 layers underneath in winter but wouldn't want to buy something massive and it slob on me .. I'd love to go to say J&S and try stuff on and get advice but not then pay the million pound price tag for my troubles :)

I was taken on a A road dual carriageway for my test, Though i have been riding a 125 that does 60 on these roads for ages.. So riding a 600 XJ was amazing, 2nd gear up to 60 because i can haha! Check your shoulder a couple times as you come off slip road, Find your gap and position yourself accordingly. and don't forget to turn off the indicator. You don't have to overtake unless traffic is going slowly in lane 1 and lane 2 is clear.