Bike starting woes :(!

Guest rich1988

New to the forums :) basically its my motorbike, (obviously) about a week ago I managed to get it started using some easy start and ran it for a while then turned it off, I come to start it again and it just wont start, I have replaced the plugs and fully charged the battery, (the spark is good) it is fueling and on full choke when starting (tried on and off and full throttle) and the leeds are in the correct order, but it just isnt firing, it did mis fire at one stage after I put the air filters on but that was the only sign of life , 1984 suzuki gsx 400 btw. We think it might be a lack of compression but I am not positive on that.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

drain the carbs clean them out and put new fuel in the tank

the fuel will have gone off if its been stood and gummed up the carbs :wink:

welcome to the site by the way :D

Stu

how long does it normally take to go bad?, its been sat for less than two months? would it really go bad in that time?

It may have gone a bit stale.

If it was running well before then copression isnt your fault.

Undo the screws at the base of you carbs and let the fuel drain.

Give it some new as Stu says and try that.

For a 10 minute job it has to be worth doing?

PS Hi!!

hiya :D, yea this seems like the way to go, I will drain the carbs out and all the fuel from the tank, (and pop it in my car!) I think there may even be a chance of a blockage in the tank itself, which I can test by taking the fuel pipe off but if I leave it on full it shouldnt drain out because of the vacuum? and when i turn it on to res it will let fuel out straight into the carb? is that right? if fuel comes out fine then it must be a problem with the carbs I guess, it must have a fuel filter I would have thought not that I know where it is, p.s thanks for the replies youll have to bare with me im still a learner when it comes to mechanics! espcially bikes :D

if you pull the pipes off the tank no fuel will come out!!!

the tap is on a vacuum there is a thinner vacuum pipe on the tap which opens the tap when you start the bike

i would also check this too

make sure there is no splits in it or anything :)

start with the basics clean carbs new fuel if still not starting start looking at other things

Stu

well after attempting to bump start it a good 10 times and getting a lot of mis fires we dissconnected the main connecters from the starter /timer and all the other connectors and cleaned them all up dried it off and managed to get it running again :D seems all good at the moment touch wood! when is a good time to sell a motorcycle btw?

well after attempting to bump start it a good 10 times and getting a lot of mis fires we dissconnected the main connecters from the starter /timer and all the other connectors and cleaned them all up dried it off and managed to get it running again :D seems all good at the moment touch wood! when is a good time to sell a motorcycle btw?

just sounds like you got all the shite fuel out of the carbs then gave up :wink:

just sounds like you got all the poo fuel out of the carbs then gave up :wink:

Pretty much we cleared the carbs out and put it on res so it would allow fuel to flow through and flush the carbs, so it was fueling and sparking so we just thought we would go for a bump start, which I think warmed it up maybe which finally allowed us to start it :), I will probably sell around may then?

March April May doesnt really matter.

No direspect intended but is it the GSX400 you are selling as the demand may not be too high.

What are you expecting for it if you dont mind me asking?

nah the fuel tap works on a vacuum so you need the engine turning to allow the fuel to flow into the carbs....

...bumping it will cause a little vacuum and get some fuel in but only a little at a time

March April May doesnt really matter.

No direspect intended but is it the GSX400 you are selling as the demand may not be too high.

What are you expecting for it if you dont mind me asking?

Oh dont worry :D im not expecting much for it, the only reason it may be in demand is it comes in just short of the 33bhp so is great for someone with their A2 licence, has mot and tax till september, was hoping for around 300 really reckon it wouldnt make it?

nah the fuel tap works on a vacuum so you need the engine turning to allow the fuel to flow into the carbs....

...bumping it will cause a little vacuum and get some fuel in but only a little at a time

That cant be right though because when the fuel is on no fuel comes out the carbsas you say, but when turned on to "pri" fuel will flow freely through the carbs.

I dont think so.

A member was selling his ZZR 250 which comes into the same bracket and it made £321 on ebay recently.

Nice looking bike too.

I am of the belief that most riders today dont look twice at retro's unless you are old like me!!

PM me a picture or two.

The only pics I have are pre respray, its now matte black (I havent finished touching it up yet hence no newer pics, has up rated jets and k&n filters and a neta 4 in 1, I have seen a couple go on ebay same age as mine around the 300 mark so I wouldnt have thought it would have that much trouble making it?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g262/l337overkill/bed7_1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g262/l337overkill/be31_1.jpg