So as not to hijack dazziep's thread

More info, please, about getting started on bigger bikes.

I haven't had time to practice much on my 125 and have most of the problems described in his thread. Getting away from junctions and feeling as if I'm going to stall (and actually stalling going up hills). I've booked my theory test and the plan is to go for a lesson on a bigger bike to see whether I could manage a few more lessons, prior to going for the DAS (I haven't got enough years ahead of me to do a progressive access thing). I'm not going to be able to afford this until next year but I'd like the encouragement at the back of my mind, to know that I could do it.

I can't understand why car drivers would be so hostile to L riders - surely the L plates should protect you from that attitude? Everybody has been a learner at some point. Wouldn't it be more the case that if you're riding without Ls, they assume that you know what you're doing, and therefore make fewer allowances for you, give you less space and so on?

And what does it feel like that first time you get on a bigger bike and start to pull away? And will I be more likely to wobble, and drop it? And how on earth do you ever manage a U turn, bearing in mind that I can't even do one of these on my 125? What about stopping? Am I more likely to wobble then, too?

Two things:

You're stalling because you're not revving the bike & slipping the clutch enough. Even a 17 stone porker like me can ride a 125 uphill from a stop :)

You're wobbling because you're not using enough revs and slipping the clutch enough + using the rear brake to control your speed during manoeuvres. Yes it is easier on a bigger bike, with more power. Don't worry, just about everyone finds the bigger bikes so much better within minutes of riding them.

Exactly what Matt says.

Bigger bikes ARE easier.

All your low speed manoeuvres are easier, because you have many times the power. The extra weight helps the bike balance itself better too.

When you do the U turn etc during your training, it's often done in a car park or other large area with cones representing the road width. You spend plenty of time on it, again don't worry, it's lots of fun :).

I treat it like a prolonged hill start, feathering the rear brake to control the speed. You can even stop the bike completely with the brake but still be holding the throttle and clutch in a position where releasing the rear brake will get you moving again at a brisk walking pace. This makes the bike much more stable and easy to control. Just don't hold it like that (stationary) for too long, yes a motorcycle clutch is designed to slip more so than cars but don't do it sat at lights etc!

Where you look is were the bike will go too, so turn that head right around when doing the U-ee!. Oh, and don't look directly down or at the clocks either, keep your head up. Looking down makes you want to put your feet down, even if you don't have to. Yes look ahead to see potential hazzards, but if you're worried about the road surface in close proximity, it's better check it out and have a good look about before you move off.

I did the first part of my CBT on a 125 on the training schools pad. I was due to do the second part on road on a 125 but when I turned up for it they told me I would be doing it on a 600. Needless to say I was pooping it a bit! Spent a while practising pulling off and stopping and then went on the road. A fair bit of the riding was in Cambridge in the usual traffic and it I soon got used to creeping along as and when the traffic dictated.

I have now been out on a 600 three times and each time has just got better with regards to my handling of the bike particularly at low speeds, hill starts (not that we have many hills in Cambridge!) etc. It's difficult to compare my experience to riding a 125 on the road as it's been far too long since I did that.

The ease of handling and controlling the 600 has really surprised me- nothing to be worried about! Anything you can do on a 125 you can do on a bigger bike and the thing I found helped me most was having confidence in myself and trusting in the bike to be able to do it. If it wasn't able to we wouldn't be asked to do them on tests!

And Dazzie- don't brick it. You probably have more riding experience than I do- I don't even have a bike. If I can do it then anyone can!

When I did my CBT on a 125 I found it so easy as the bike is so light and so am I at 8st and a little over 5' 4" tall (that is wet through) :lol: I was terrified at getting on a big bike even though I had ridden smallish bikes back in the 70's. I started on a Suzuki 500 and found it a bit heavy at first trying to push it around. Once I actually started riding it I was surprised at how easy it was to manoeuvre under power. Have to admit to dropping it a couple of times on the slow work but soon got the hang of it. Then the rules changed which meant I had to take the test on a 650cc bike for the full licence! :shock: Again I was so worried about the even bigger bike not to mention could i touch the ground on it with my short legs! I needn't of worried as the 'new' bikes were Kawasaki ER6's which although heavier bikes was so easy to manoeuvre. Slow work on this bike was just great and I was soon throwing it around like a pro. It is so very true that the extra weight and power makes it easier work. No matter what size of bike you ride it is all down to the clutch control and the rear brake that will make all slow work easy. HTH. :wink: