tyre choice

Guest sponie

I have a couple of hundred mile rear batlax tyre on my er6f,my front is due a change,i received some mail about michelin 2's & 3's.

Would it be safe to mix or stick with the batlax? Or would a change be advised when rear needs changing.

Thanks guys.

When I had my XJ6, I swapped mine for Pilot Road 3's. They're awesome tyres.

Wouldn't worry about mixing tyres, that's manufacturer bull*** to make you buy the same tyre again.

Not sure about mixing tyres but I switched to the Michelein RP3 last year and am hugely impressed. Good grip, bike feels better and 7k miles still look like new, no squaring off visible yet. And I've heard the RP4 is even better.

Interesting, my rear has squared off a bit over winter.

The Pirelli Angel GT's are too confidence inspiring, so i may have to look into some PR3/4's on my XJ6 if they are decent.

Wouldn't worry about mixing tyres, that's manufacturer bull*** to make you buy the same tyre again.

Is that your opinion or fact?

The Pirelli Angel GT's are too confidence inspiring, so i may have to look into some PR3/4's on my XJ6 if they are decent.

:scratch: :scratch:

These tires are far too good, I feel far too happy riding on them :lol:

If your that happy with them why change ???

I've got the Angel GT's fitted to the Busa awesome tyres, if l find something to my liking l'll take some convincing to change.

For the average rider who's not constantly banked over with their knee down on the limit of grip, I'd say its pretty much fact. Mismatched tyres are no worse than a squared off rear and a triangle shaped front that many ride about on.

If your that happy with them why change ???

I've got the Angel GT's fitted to the Busa awesome tyres, if l find something to my liking l'll take some convincing to change.

Damn auto correct, i mean't aren't too confidence inspiring, at least not in the wet weather. I'm going to see what they are like in the warmer weather before i decide on a change.

For the average rider who's not constantly banked over with their knee down on the limit of grip, I'd say its pretty much fact. Mismatched tyres are no worse than a squared off rear and a triangle shaped front that many ride about on.

Actually the problem comes when riding straight up and not cranked over

Different tyres have different profiles and they are designed to work together

A more pointy front with a flat rear has a tendency to tank slap

And yes I have experienced this!

I thought there also may be a problem with varying levels of grip in mismatched tyres, I'm not sure which way but in think it's OK for the front to be gripper than the rear but problems might occur if it's reversed.

Personally I always change both regardless I'll leave the mismatched pairs to you joeman :), tho I tend to wear fronts quicker.

I thought there also may be a problem with varying levels of grip in mismatched tyres, I'm not sure which way but in think it's OK for the front to be gripper than the rear but problems might occur if it's reversed.

Personally I always change both regardless I'll leave the mismatched pairs to you joeman :), tho I tend to wear fronts quicker.

this is true

stickier front of the same brand tyre though

pirelli had a thing a few years ago of always doing a stickier front

if you reverse it you get too much grip on the rear compared to front and end up washing the front out

but this is more track focused than anything

I changed from Michelin to Bridgestone just now and can't see me going back over to M's due to the BT-023's being amazing for what you pay.

Worth checking out; this chap gives them 10/10 and claims they behave like a racing tyre. I find the corner turn in quite neutral too, which concurs with what he says. I have no reason to doubt anything else said in the review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTif-Bw0uj4

Of course tyres are designed to work as a pair, but they are not bike specific and we dont just ride based on the grip of the front or rear, we ride based on the combined grip and feel of both tyres.

Also tyres are a compromise between grip levels and wear rates. Who's to say (for example) fitting a soft compound tyre from one manufactures on the front and a hard compound from another manufacturer to the rear won't actually provide a better balance for your riding style?

I'd love to do a blind test and see if people could actually notice they were riding on mis matched tyres. On the road I doubt they could unless they were radically different tyres. Other factors such as tyre pressure suspension setup and bike geometry would play much larger factors in the feel of the bike than mismatched tyres.

Edit: but I keep mine matched as mismatched tyres look crap!

I have just removed Bridgestone's off mine and put pilot road 4's on

The bike feels better but that could just be the new tyre feeling!

Mileage is probably more important than grip with these types of tyres as no one is going to find the limit on the road

I have just removed Bridgestone's off mine and put pilot road 4's on

The bike feels better but that could just be the new tyre feeling!

Mileage is probably more important than grip with these types of tyres as no one is going to find the limit on the road

I agree Stu, that's the reason we went for the Angel Gt's, not wanting to compromise grip on wet or dry roads, these tyres are purpose built sports touring tyres built for all roads and conditions, rather than super sport tyres that need heat and dry roads to get the best out of them. Yep it's a nice feeling going out on a set of fresh rubber