Couple of Issues

MissBex

That looks like a self tapping screw so as long as you have a good fitting screwdriver then do it up tighter and it should cut the thread into the new cap. Once you've done that off the bike it should be good to go back on.

Well, yet another thing I just can't do XD I've tried and tried and I can't get it to screw in - tried a few different screwdrivers but I dunno, I probably don't have the strength :/

Will it be ok for now just to not have the screw in there?

ahaha :lol:

Well, will just see if the new cap makes any difference or not :)

Service on Wednesday - be nice to know she'll have all new pads, oil, brake fluid, coolant etc.. in her :)

Just in time for the good weather :)

The screw is only there to stop local pikies stealing it for fun

Isn't that screw in the cap a secondary safety device as well to stop it being unscrewed accidentally and getting a face full of steam while the engine is still hot ? Just don't be tempted to remove the cap when the engine is hot if the screw wont go all the way in.

Well, Service all done - New pads, oil & filter, Brake fluids and coolant. Everything on their 'Health Check' form was green, meaning good.

But

It's still pouring coolant out the overflow. So new cap didn't solve it :(

I went up to town and back the other day and I didn't see it do it all, but today it did it as I pulled up to park in Tesco's car park. Started doing it as I was slowing to a stop riding into the parking area, and as the floor was very pale I noticed a line of it where it had gone on the wheel and rolled through it, and then it spat out a little puddle after fully stopping.

Temp stayed low, not over 1/4 the whole ride. Didn't do it again when I got home and stopped.

Any other suggestions or do I need to book it in to be looked at properly? :(

Well, Service all done - New pads, oil & filter, Brake fluids and coolant. Everything on their 'Health Check' form was green, meaning good.

But

It's still pouring coolant out the overflow. So new cap didn't solve it :(

I went up to town and back the other day and I didn't see it do it all, but today it did it as I pulled up to park in Tesco's car park. Started doing it as I was slowing to a stop riding into the parking area, and as the floor was very pale I noticed a line of it where it had gone on the wheel and rolled through it, and then it spat out a little puddle after fully stopping.

Temp stayed low, not over 1/4 the whole ride. Didn't do it again when I got home and stopped.

Any other suggestions or do I need to book it in to be looked at properly? :(

Silly thing... have you had a look at the temperature sensor connection? If it's a bit fuzzed up then it could give you a false reading.

Is your coolant level still below max?

Aha!! Just noticed whilst looking around it again, a droplet under the rad on the right hand side. Took the fairing and rad cover off again and sure enough, I think the leak is coming from around that damn screw'ole!

So. Am I looking at a new rad? (Can get a Delkavic one for £135, But probs wont be able to fit it myself, so will probs have to pay a garage for that too) :(

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/rad1%20003_zps51pqy8f2.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/rad1%20002_zpsk3ctbwzi.jpg

if that section is metal you might be able to either get it soldered up or brazed up round the joint once the rad is off its worth looking at before buying a new rad,but if its plastic then you might have no choice but buy new

It feels metal to me. Still though, if it's corroded then even after a fix it could possibly get another hole somewhere else? It's looks to have been already done before so I think if the rad's most likely (Hopefully) the culprit for it dropping the coolant then I'd rather just get a new one ( Will look nicer too.. :roll: ) but are they easy to fit? I'll have a look in the haynes later, but even if it says 1 spanner.. I'll probably still do something wrong XD!

while all the fairing is off and that bolt is removed I would run it up to temperature and make sure that little leak is the culprit

as the way you describe it you are getting a big puddle and if that was the case that leak would be pissing out

You took the screw out of the bleed hole on the rad?........whenever the screw is removed, check the washer......if it looks a bit gnarled or chewed up replace it with a new one (usually copper)...... :wink:

while all the fairing is off and that bolt is removed I would run it up to temperature and make sure that little leak is the culprit

as the way you describe it you are getting a big puddle and if that was the case that leak would be pissing out

Hi Stu, The puddle is a sudden drop of coolant from the overflow (Which I've been told can happen for a number of reasons; faulty Rad cap, overfilled reservoir, a Leak somewhere, head gasket etc etc..)

You took the screw out of the bleed hole on the rad?........whenever the screw is removed, check the washer......if it looks a bit gnarled or chewed up replace it with a new one (usually copper)...... :wink:

Heya Tango :) Uhmmm.. I..... don't know...? :lol:

You saying the 'Bleed Hole' is the hole in the picture? (Which is 1 of 4 holes that hold the rad cover on.) or somewhere else?

Is that hole blind? or does it go into the inside of the rad? It's just that it looks like the rad bleed hole that's on my Speedy. There's normally a bleed hole on the top of the rad on the opposite side to the filler......just to get rid of any potential airlocks in the rad when you fill it....... :)

Aha.....that last pic makes it a bit clearer. No.....deffo not a bleed screw......although, if a previous owner has used the wrong screw it could have cracked the mounting. I'd try some K-seal in it first....see if that works....... 8-)

Yeah could do, but still think I'd rather just replace the rad.

Just looking through Haynes, it says to remove tank, but I found another thread that says you shouldn't need to, is that right?

It says to drain the coolant by the drain plug on the water pump and that I should replace the washer, or will it be ok to just drain it from unclipping the hose that goes into the pump instead?

You reckon it will be ok to ride for now? (I have been for a while now since it first started doing this and just keep topping up the rad) I need to wait a week for payday and I'm supposed to be going on a ride to Hunstanton then too, so was hoping it will be ok to ride it for that then fix rad after?

have you thought about fitting a short bolt with sealant on the thread into the bolt hole as a temp repair untill you can change the rad and see if that stops it leaking for now

Yeah could try that, I'm not sure if it's leaking from the hole or from around the edge (As it's been 'fixed' around it too).

Been speaking to some people tonight and they reckon a new rad is the way to go too. Said it looks like whats happened is someones put a bolt in thats too long or screwed it in too hard.

Looking at the bolt I took out of that hole, it actually has 2 washers on it, compared to the other bolt from the other side of the rad, which has none and screws in all the way nicely.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/P1040862_zpsp9u1swqt.jpg

So my new rad arrived from Delkevic. Tomorrow(/today technically) I am going to attempt to fit it myself (With much needed help from my stepdad hopefully). I've got pro Honda coolant to go back in it.

A couple of questions if anyone knows:

1) You think that I should drain the coolant via the drain plug on the water pump (as it says in the manual) or just do it via a low hose?

2) Should pour some water (Tap? or I can get some distilled) through the new rad before fitting it to make sure it's clean inside?

Any other tips welcome before I fit it Smile

Hopefully it all goes well - Fingers crossed!

Not knowing how much new coolant you have, it might be worthwhile just draining from bottom hose and topping up with distilled water initially (I'm guessing your stuff is pre mixed ? )

Make sure it's not dropping any water from the new rad and then drain down and refill with new coolant assuming the drain plug is easily removeable.

It certainly won't hurt to flush new rad through with water before fitting.

Thanks ok :) I've got 4 litres (4x 1L) of premixed coolant, gotta go up to town in a min so with see if I can get hold of distilled water anyway to use to flush through.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/delkrad%20002_zpskkrw2qnh.jpg

Will be attempting to fit it later when my stepdad comes home :thumb: