1st gear to 2nd without the 'Clunk'

Guest Kc9400

Hey guys,

I'll be stopped at lights and red, amber, green!! GO!

Up to 40 in 1st gear, now when I try to shift up to 2nd I get a really unpleasant 'Clunk/Crunch' noise. Is this because the revs are too high for me to be shifting up?

I'm kind of thinking it's due to lack of experience.

How can I zip up to 40 quickly? Do I need to learn to shift much earlier/quicker?

This isn't my normal riding, just from time to time it's nice to feel that acceleration ;)

https://youtu.be/yiP6TBXLAXs

Edited by Anonymous

1) Engine oil need changing or topping up?

2) Chain need lubing and adjusting?

3) Clutch need adjusting?

All three if not attended to on a regular basis can play a part in the gearbox not working as smooth as sufficient as it should.

Ah kk, I'm getting use to all these noises :) yeah that's the only time it clunks, the rest of the time it's a fairly quiet 'click'.

I'm normally well behaved, I've yet to redline (not that I want to be redlining everywhere)

I'd love to do a track day and pick up some further riding tuition. Unsure whether it's worth it with the limited experience I've got so far.

cheers for the reply.

If it starts resisting gear changes, or is quite clunky in other gears, do keep an eye on oil condition, chain adjustment etc as said above. But if it's a normal and regular noise then don't worry.

1) Engine oil need changing or topping up?

2) Chain need lubing and adjusting?

3) Clutch need adjusting?

All three if not attended to on a regular basis can play a part in the gearbox not working as smooth as sufficient as it should.

1) Engine oil is good, it was last changed 1500miles ago. Levels are good.

2) Chain is fine, the tension is within the recommended amount. Lubed up once a week.

3) How do I tell? It only clunks when I go between 1st and 2nd and only when I'm giving it some welly. If I'm changing at a normal riding pace it's nice and smooth. A friend I ride with quite often rips into me for shifting it like a car. 30mph in 4th/5th gear :P

I keep forgetting to 'ride it like I stole it' :P

As above if it's only between 1st and 2nd and is noise only then it's fine, you do have to put more force in the up-shift between 1st and 2nd that you would any other gear (to avoid hitting neutral).

If I'm changing at a normal riding pace it's nice and smooth. A friend I ride with quite often rips into me for shifting it like a car. 30mph in 4th/5th gear :P

The clutch would only need adjusting if it became slack or was set incorrectly for you personal preference, the first line of your sentence tells me that you don't need to mess around with it.

And I do the same thing, I used to moan about how slow my 125 was when I first picked it up and got comfortable with riding a little more, then after advice I discovered the almighty rev range and soon discovered how to use my machine to get all possible speed out of it.

Yeah.... my redline doesn't crop up until 14.5k. So I've got a hell of a lot to play with.

Ok, that may also help. The amount of times I go into neutral because I'm too gentle on it annoys me. Sounds like I need to give it a good solid smooth lift up and nail the shift.

the gixxers are known to be clunky from 1st to 2nd but knowing what is excessive is the key here

are you clutchless shifting?

I used to find just a gentle squeeze of the clutch through neutral helps massively on my old gixxer

Hi l would say your running it to hard in 1st, it's not easy to get it to slip into 2nd with the engine and gears spinning at that sort of speed hence the clunk and grind. A motorbike gearbox is none synchromesh, you've got to match the crankshaft - engine revs to the selected gear, if you don't get it spot on it will grind or clunk. Far better to get it out of first as soon as possible then start to power on.

the gixxers are known to be clunky from 1st to 2nd but knowing what is excessive is the key here

are you clutchless shifting?

I used to find just a gentle squeeze of the clutch through neutral helps massively on my old gixxer

I do some clutchless but only once I'm upto 2nd. 1st to 2nd I always use clutch. I gave it a go yesterday and noticed a reduction in the clunk if I actually give it a good positive lift when shifting up. I can be a little lazy with my foot and after doing it a few times and being a bit firmer for that initial shift has definitely reduced the clunk.

I'll ask the guy I met last night what he thinks.

Was out for a ride with my brother and his ped (oh god) broke down. Said to him it was his battery and he had to call for recovery. Bike SOS van turns up and the chap was super helpful and also a fellow gsrx rider. He cleaned the terminals on the battery and gave it a jump and all was good.

Glad to find someone local with decent hands on experience with GSXR aswell so I'll let him have a listen.

sounds perfectly normal to me..

my current bike (which is 4 days old), my previous bike (which was 15 years old), and my motocross bike all do it.

and i sometimes get a little judder as its bein clicked into 1st after a cold start.

:up:

Are you getting up to said speed and holding at that speed while changing up? Or are you accelerating then into 2nd and carrying on accelerating? If your pulling hard up to 40 then holding the speed and changing to 2nd then this is your prob. 1st to 2nd is far smoother while accelerating so short shifting 1st and pulling the reat of the way in second will make it smoother. Also bare in mind because first to second is two movements it needs to be a very fluid movement, its a lot less forgiving than all other gear changes, your clutch disengagement and engage needs to be seemless.

How are your cush drives? You say chain, oil ect is all good but worn cush drives will cause a lot of feedback

Are you getting up to said speed and holding at that speed while changing up? Or are you accelerating then into 2nd and carrying on accelerating? If your pulling hard up to 40 then holding the speed and changing to 2nd then this is your prob. 1st to 2nd is far smoother while accelerating so short shifting 1st and pulling the reat of the way in second will make it smoother. Also bare in mind because first to second is two movements it needs to be a very fluid movement, its a lot less forgiving than all other gear changes, your clutch disengagement and engage needs to be seemless.

How are your cush drives? You say chain, oil ect is all good but worn cush drives will cause a lot of feedback

Yeah I'm thinking it's just down to me not being fluid.

Hmmmm checking the cush drives means taking off the back wheel etc? Not sure I'm comfortable doing that yet but I'll pull out the manuals and maybe give it a go at the weekend.

Yeah I'm thinking it's just down to me not being fluid.

Hmmmm checking the cush drives means taking off the back wheel etc? Not sure I'm comfortable doing that yet but I'll pull out the manuals and maybe give it a go at the weekend.

It's not difficult to take the rear wheel off, the manual gives a very straight forward step by step process, just take your time and note down what order to put stuff back together in.

I say this as i took both my wheels off at the weekend ready for a tyre change, first time I've taken the wheels off the Gixxer since i got it. Just make sure you have the right size socket for the rear wheel nut and if you haven't got one already a torque wrench for when you put it back in.

:thumb:

How can I zip up to 40 quickly? Do I need to learn to shift much earlier/quicker?

This isn't my normal riding, just from time to time it's nice to feel that acceleration ;)

Buy a V twin, no gear change necessary at legal speeds, just leave it in 2nd all day :D

It's not difficult to take the rear wheel off, the manual gives a very straight forward step by step process, just take your time and note down what order to put stuff back together in.

I say this as i took both my wheels off at the weekend ready for a tyre change, first time I've taken the wheels off the Gixxer since i got it. Just make sure you have the right size socket for the rear wheel nut and if you haven't got one already a torque wrench for when you put it back in.

Ok cool, I'll give it a go then.

Yeah I got a nice shiny tool kit with everything I need in it and a torque wrench.

Ok cool, I'll give it a go then.

Yeah I got a nice shiny tool kit with everything I need in it and a torque wrench.

If you have a nice shiny tool set then you should be fine but just make sure your sockets are big enough as the rear wheel is 36mm, The toolkit which I've had for years only went up to 20 i think. Halfrauds do decent sockets for £5 - £10 depending on size.

The bike was designed to be changed at high RPM's. Be confident with it, kick up hard and to it all in one swift movement.

I'm sure the gearbox is fine and it's probably a user error - 1-2 is a really common thread...

Are you using the clutch??

I do use the clutch :lol: , sometimes I don't but not often and only once I'm over the 1st to 2nd change.

As Phil said " it's probably a user error - 1-2 is a really common thread..." sounds about right. Being less of a softy with it makes it much much smoother.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've added a new video to the first post as I think this is a far easier way for people to know exactly the sound I'm on about :)

any advice on whether it's normal or whether I need to investigate further is appreciated.

cheers guys/gals.

that noise from 1st to 2nd will be worse when bike stood still like that and when in use it needs firm selection not a fairy boot to change and also in one movement not 2 so dont be in first gear then move to neutral then move again for 2nd do it in one movement so clutch in firm pressure on lever and you will feel it pass neutral and go into 2nd gear