One for you computer geniuses - help!

Adam

Wen to the zoo yesterday with my family and my partner took loads of pictures on her camera, when we got home she plugged the camera into the laptop and all the pictures were there as they should be, however when she went to back on the laptop later she plugged it all back in and all the pictures are now just showing up as a black square with a Red Cross through them (something along them lines).

Just wondering if anyone knows how to save the pictures? I know they must still be on there but I'm useless when I comes to that kind of thing.

Any help would be appreciated, she's really upset about losing them :(

Thanks

Corrupted or not, copy all the pics onto the computer. Then download a trial copy of the latest version of Paintshop Pro, that has an automatic feature for recovering corrupted files and while it's a little slow to do it, it does a better job than any of the other recovery software out there. If that doesn't work you could try a few of these, but if PSP can't do it then it's unlikely that any of them will.

In the future, when the camera is connected to a computer make sure to safely disconnect it. Also avoid opening the memory card or battery doors immediately after switching the camera off, it's often still writing to the card. And once this is all resolved, format the card (should be an option in the camera's menus) - this will completely wipe it but should also reduce the odds of it doing this again any time soon. Good to get in a habit of doing a format every time you copy stuff off the card and onto the computer. It's also possible that the memory card is just a bit pants; if you want to be safe, replace it with a Sandisk card. But don't buy it from eBay or an Amazon marketplace seller, there are knock-offs everywhere these days. And don't buy it from a shop without shopping around, they overcharge like crazy! Best to buy one on Amazon, but make sure it's from Amazon themselves not one of the other sellers on there.

Hope you get it sorted!

Edited by RantMachine

Are the pictures still showing on the camera? Have you tried restarting the computer (This may help as it could be a software blip)

Do you know what format the pictures are saved as on the camera?

Personally i think a restart may help if the pictures are still on the SD card on the camera as it sounds like a software issue rather than the picturse have gone. all that need to happen then is to pull the pictures off the camera and save :)

Keep me posted :)

No they don't show on camera or laptop, now trying one of the recovery programmes Ollie linked so hopefully it works. They save as JPEG if that makes any difference?

cheers guys

As rant machine says mate.

not properly removing devices can cause data corruption..

When removing, go down to the system tasks bar (bottom right on windows OS, right click on the logo about devices, and click "safely remove"...

if Rant's idea dont work, hit me up on facebook mate.

I got data recovery software.. will bring them back in 10 seconds, wether they are corrupt, formatted or re-partitioned over..

:cheers:

Corrupted or not, copy all the pics onto the computer. Then download a trial copy of the latest version of Paintshop Pro, that has an automatic feature for recovering corrupted files and while it's a little slow to do it, it does a better job than any of the other recovery software out there. If that doesn't work you could try a few of these, but if PSP can't do it then it's unlikely that any of them will.

In the future, when the camera is connected to a computer make sure to safely disconnect it. Also avoid opening the memory card or battery doors immediately after switching the camera off, it's often still writing to the card. And once this is all resolved, format the card (should be an option in the camera's menus) - this will completely wipe it but should also reduce the odds of it doing this again any time soon. Good to get in a habit of doing a format every time you copy stuff off the card and onto the computer. It's also possible that the memory card is just a bit pants; if you want to be safe, replace it with a Sandisk card. But don't buy it from eBay or an Amazon marketplace seller, there are knock-offs everywhere these days. And don't buy it from a shop without shopping around, they overcharge like crazy! Best to buy one on Amazon, but make sure it's from Amazon themselves not one of the other sellers on there.

Hope you get it sorted!

Apologies for a thread hi jack but it's kinda on topic.

Ollie do you have any tips for recovering corrupt video files ? my oppo used a sony as15 last year & had nothing to view the videos on so moved the microsd card from the cam to his samsung phone, about 3/4 of the videos wont work , thaey are the right size & I've tried opening them with loads of different video programs to no avail, they should be mp4.

Any clues gratefully received

Not so familiar with that side of things, I'm afraid to say - haven't done much video work since my degree and I was lucky enough that none of my files corrupted back then! That being said, I'm aware that such software does exist, I just can't make any informed recommendations. I think it's made a bit trickier by the various different formats that video cameras use; at least with a digital camera it's unlikely to be anything other than Jpeg, video cameras there are a load of semi-proprietary formats that behave differently so not all software will cater to all file types. Best bet is probably to look on Google for MP4 recovery software recommendations.

Hope you get it sorted!

Apologies for a thread hi jack but it's kinda on topic.

Ollie do you have any tips for recovering corrupt video files ? my oppo used a sony as15 last year & had nothing to view the videos on so moved the microsd card from the cam to his samsung phone, about 3/4 of the videos wont work , thaey are the right size & I've tried opening them with loads of different video programs to no avail, they should be mp4.

Any clues gratefully received

ive got data recovery software, that can completely recover all data, wether its corrupt, formatted, or re-partitioned..

all files types, including system files, .cfg and .dll files..

it can also recover previous partitions too.

:cheers: